• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me your Non Star Designated coins that should have a star!!!

40 posts in this topic

Ok so we have like 14 pages of rainbows and just miss cameo's and DMPL coins in another thread, all with the coveted star designation from NGC. What I want to see is a coin, white or toned that you think is hands down star quality but the coin doesn't reside in a star holder. The coins don't have to be just graded by NGC...if you have PCGS/Anacs coins that you think would get tagged with the star if submitted then show them off here :acclaim:

I'll start us off here....but I have some other coins I will add later if this thread stalls..... :taptaptap:

1896NGCMS633152174-002OBV.jpg

1896NGCMS633152174-002REV.jpg

...and to add insult to injury it's graded FBL...

58Frankobv027.jpg

58Frankrev050.jpg

LMAO FBL. Maybe they ment to put the star and messed up and put FBL. Or maybe the grader(s) where blind. Is that an ngc or pcgs coin? Also whats the grade.

LMAO FBL. Maybe they ment to put the star and messed up and put FBL. Or maybe the grader(s) where blind. Is that an ngc or pcgs coin? Also whats the grade.

By definition if you are looking for a star coin it would be in an NGC holder. The above is MS66FBL. On the whole I agree with the 66.

I know I've shown this many times before - its graded 67 in an old Fatty. I really think its star worthy

That's a beauty, Jason (as are yours Shane and Schatzy), but I believe stars didn't exist during the fatty era.

By definition if you are looking for a star coin it would be in an NGC holder. The above is MS66FBL. On the whole I agree with the 66.

Yes but I stipulated that anyone could post any coin they felt star worthy regardless of the service :whistle:

Like this pcgs coin for example...I would lay odds that this coin would have very little difficulty getting a star should I ever try to cross it ;)

Forsale6060.jpg

Forsale6074b.jpg

Forsale6071b.jpg

Yes but I stipulated that anyone could post any coin they felt star worthy regardless of the service :whistle:

Ooops! My bad! It's that darn short term memory loss. :makepoint: Sorry, Jason!

195110C.jpg

195310CA.jpg

Didn't you post these on another forum indicating the top specimen received the star designation? Are you just posting this for comparison? Also, what do these grade? I'm curious. The Roosevelt Dime series isn't my specialty and I recently purchased an early cameo proof exam in an NGC holder that I would like to compare surfaces, etc.

Didn't you post these on another forum indicating the top specimen received the star designation? Are you just posting this for comparison? Also, what do these grade? I'm curious. The Roosevelt Dime series isn't my specialty and I recently purchased an early cameo proof exam in an NGC holder that I would like to compare surfaces, etc.

Sorry I didn't mean to post the bottom one as that one is in a star holder now. PF66*

The top one got PF68 Cameo.

New Holder

Old Holder

195110CE.jpg

Here's mine.I think it's borderline.It's got a lot more color bands than show in the pics. I counted 14.

86bowfull.jpg

The second picture is before grading. It's difficult to pick up the luster especially in the new slab.Seems harder to get good pictures in NGC holders?My imagination?

94471.jpg.3ef68dcf55184209a0269c3277715fbd.jpg

...And to add insult to injury on this one there is NO FBL. doh!

It was NGC MS65, and I sent it in for a star and FBL designation review. Neither of which did it get. I eventually sent it in to PCGS and it now resides in a PCGS MS65FBL holder.

FWIW, it's now at Tomaska's (at HIS request) as a potential plate coin for the date/mm for the section in his new book dealing with toned Franklins.

49dms65-1Sm.jpg

49dms65-5Sm.jpg

49dms65-6Sm.jpg

I dont own it anymore, but the clad business strike dime in my avatar was a real beauty that in my opinion was star worthy. Great rim toning with several colors giving it a proof like surface.

...And to add insult to injury on this one there is NO FBL. doh!

It was NGC MS65, and I sent it in for a star and FBL designation review. Neither of which did it get. I eventually sent it in to PCGS and it now resides in a PCGS MS65FBL holder.

FWIW, it's now at Tomaska's (at HIS request) as a potential plate coin for the date/mm for the section in his new book dealing with toned Franklins.

49dms65-1Sm.jpg

49dms65-5Sm.jpg

49dms65-6Sm.jpg

I don't think that Franklin deserves a star based on the standards set forth by NGC which state:

The toning color can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown approaching black.

I definitely see areas of black toning on that coin. As for my star snubbed coins, here are a few.

MorganDollar1887NGCMS641875422-0-2.jpg

SLQ1924-DNGCMS67Label.jpg

JeffersonNickel1944-PNGCMS675FS4Lab.jpg

JeffersonNickel1944-DNGCMS67Appalac.jpg

The only Appalachian I have ever seen without a star!

JeffersonNickel1952NGCMS67.jpg

JeffersonNickel1942-SNGCMS672183-16.jpg

Since posting PCGS coins are allowed, I always wondered if this one would get the star designation. What do you think?

(I like it with or without the * )

1883RAINBOWCOMBO.jpg

Usually its hard to say for sure but I would put your chances at 98% for that one....they love rainbows as long as the other side is white or has nice toning as well so I don't see anything holding your coin back.

This Morgan is clearly representative of the coins that NGC gives the *Star* designation to.

Nice Morgan. Very special appearance.

Carl