• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on this half dime, please.

16 posts in this topic

That spot on the reverse greatly troubles me, especially since it seems to correspond to that cavity on the obverse on the neck. I would have to examine it in person to formulate much of an opinion.

As for the grade, it's probably an EF-ish coin.

EVP

I also think the coin looks in the high EF category. The spot on the eagle, though, is worrisome as it almost looks like it could have been a place where heat was applied. It's impossible for me to tell given the single image. The necrotic neck tissue is somewhat more peripherally situated when compared to the spot on the eagle, but they are still roughly in the same area.

That's a tastey little coin, but my first thought with the spot was, "It's been soldered." For the right price (and I have no idea what that is), it would still be a great purchase. If there is a solder residue on the coin, perhaps NCS could work with it. Otherwise, I really like the details of the coin.

Hoot

To me the coin looks better than XF. I'd say solid AU.

As for the spot, that is distubring. Perhaps some sort of repair. Some minor heat damage? Either way, don't buy raw.

And of course without seeing the coin in person those are only guesses.

The looks like it has EF-AU sharpness, but from the photo I'd say that it has been mounted on a stick pin at one time. Even if NCS works on this there will be a spot. It just depends on how much a negative they think the spots deserves. To me is fairly minor so long as the coin is still flat and shows no signs of having been heated. If I were going to net grade it, I'd say EF-40.

Thanks very much for precious opinions.

The "spot" is somewhat raised from the surface(it's hard to tell because the coin is in a thick holder and I can't view it from sharp angle)and I'm afraid it's "soldered", "tooled" as you folks pointed out. Obverse neck doesn't have any problem.(it's just a picture)

By the way I've been a proud(?) owner of this coin for a few years...I knew this coin had a "spot" from the first time I recieved it from a e-Bay seller wink.gif , but I was too lazy to examine it close untill recently.

Oh, yes, it's already been slabbed by NGC. Do you think I should send it to NGC for review?

Grade?.......at least NGC said it's 58 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would not worry too much about this piece, toyonakataro. I owned a 1795 half dime for a number years that had a problem similar to this and still sold it for close to $2,000 in an ANACS holder that noted the situation. If I had that coin today it would be worth maybe $2,500.

A lot of the pieces that slabs with no problems noted on the slab have defects that are just as bad or worse than this. With the supply of early coins available in the market at a low point despite higher prices, I think you are prettty safe with this piece.

Oh, yes, it's already been slabbed by NGC. Do you think I should send it to NGC for review?

Grade?.......at least NGC said it's 58 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The spot doesn't look nearly as bad in the blown up photo.

I'd send it to NGC for review. It will only cost postage.

Perhaps send a PM to one of the graders or post this picture in the Ask NGC forum.

I would not worry too much about this piece, toyonakataro. I owned a 1795 half dime for a number years that had a problem similar to this and still sold it for close to $2,000 in an ANACS holder that noted the situation. If I had that coin today it would be worth maybe $2,500.

Thanks, BillJohns....but I would worry because I paid much more than $2500 893frustrated.gifwink.gif

It's a good idea to post "ask NGC forum", but I would like to ask Ex-NGC grader before that. He might have a good idea what to do...he's a saint smile.gif

Just for update.

Thanks to a forum member Higashiyama and a dealer in west coast, the coin was sent and reviewed by NGC.

Here's the PM I got from the dealer(hope you don't mind posting your PM here, Mr F wink.gif)

"Hi Taro,

I talked to NGC today about your 1795 1/2 10c.

At least three people there looked at it, including with a microscope.

They believe the area that you asked about is NOT the result of a spot removal or post minting damage or scratches or corrosion. They think it is something from when the coin was made, including maybe a bit of extra metal in that area. They seem to think it is ok and I believe they are being honest with me."

At least, I feel better now cool.gif

First, great coin.

Second, If NGC says so ("They think it is something from when the coin was made, including maybe a bit of extra metal in that area") it must be ok, correct?

I wonder what pcgs would say if they saw the coin, Anacs? Does that explanation seem plausible to everyone?

Has anyone ever heard of that type of "situation" with that type of look, or seen something similar on a prior occasion?

smile.gif

Bigd5 - I was the one ("Mr.F.") who submitted the coin to NGC on behalf of Taro.

I could not tell precisely what the cause of that depression was, though it appeared to me that there was a good possibility it was mint-made. I believe NGC when they tell me that such is the case.

My mistake, I thought it was an area of raised metal, and not a depression.

Have you ever seen this type of mark on an early bust coin like this on a prior occasion? Ever?

Your sitting/standing behind the table at a show and the coin is offered to you raw. Tough scenario I would imagine.

Just trying to play devils advocate here with a very interesting coin and topic. We could substitute a fictional coin with a fictional "issue" and still make the same points. Please no one take offense.

Then it's a struckthru! What kept that area from toning? Off metal perhaps?

Leo

Wanted to add, I wouldn't hesitate buying that coin! But not without a conditional agreement, that is! Lots of great detail on that one!