• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

special medal of honor created for augustus st. gaudens by the pan amer. expos.

11 posts in this topic

augustus st. gaudens was awarded a special medal of honor at the pan-american exposition held at buffalo ny in 1901 and james earle fraser a ny sculptor recently finished the design of this medal

the medal which will be made of gold and four inches in diameter will be kept by mrs. st. gaudens but copies will be made for the met in nyny and and other art institutes

the obverse has a life size head portrait of augustus the reverse is an ideal composition depicting a sculptor on the pegasusof classical mythology the winged horse of the muses!!

again this medal designed and modelled by james earle fraser, sculptor

michael

You wouldn't happen to have an image of this, would you, Michael? I don't know if I have seen it before. If I remember, I'll look in my books for an image to post.

the medal which will be made of gold and four inches in diameter will be kept by mrs. st. gaudens but copies will be made for the met in nyny and and other art institutes

Pardon me for being dense, but I notice that you wrote in the *future* tense and am wondering what that means...

Does it mean that copies of a medallion previously made around 1901 will be re-made in the near future? Or, does it mean that a medallion of a past event will soon be made, as well as additional copies?

Or, should you not have used the future tense, and that everything you wrote is about a historical event that occurred circa 100 years ago?

Why am I asking? Because I started to ponder the significance of this *belated* commemorative event and the people involved until I realized that I better make sure that I read this correctly!

(I am not simply trying to be grammatically fastidious!)

EVP

hi there tomb give me your e mail address and when i go to the university of rochester on monday i will send you a scan!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pardon me for being dense, but I notice that you wrote in the *future* tense and am wondering what that means...

Does it mean that copies of a medallion previously made around 1901---------- yes! the copies of the medal were made in 1901

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

evp

you are not dense i just did not make myself clear i could have expressed myself better

michael

Or, should you not have used the future tense, and that everything you wrote is about a historical event that occurred circa 100 years ago?

evp i should not have used the future tense i wrote about an historical event that occured about 100 years ago

sorry for the confusion i should have made myself more clear by writing more clearly

michael

sorry i could not post it the computer said the image is too big to post if you give me your e mail i will e mail, it to you and you can maybe adjust the image and post it on here! sorry

michael

sorry this took so long, but work has been very busy lately. here is the image the michael scanned of the medal, it may not be very clear, but it's something!

Gaudens.jpg

thnaks for posting this!!!

you did a good job

my scan was not clear i had one of the students at the u or r help me do it

and this is waht came out

michael