• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washing Coins

12 posts in this topic

One thing I tend to do is leave coins in my pockets of clothes that ends up in the washing machine. This time, I left a 1998 Lincoln Cent in my pocket on purpose just to see what happens. The coin had some cruft and other debris on it. After washing and drying the coin, the coin came back cleaner. Unfortunately, I did not take a before picture to make posting an after picture worthless.

So here's the question: if I washed a non-copper coin say in the pocket of a pair of cotton jeans, would it come out looking like it was cleaned where a grading service would bodybag or net grade it? hm

I'll have to go through my stash to see if I have a "common" silver coin to try this as an experiment. But I would be interested in hearing everyone's opinion?

Scott

I carry a morgan around in my pocket everyday. I sometimes forget to take it out when I wash clothes. I've washed it a few times. Basically just comes out shiny.

I wonder how a silver coin might look if it were washed with whites, bleach and fabric softener? Or, instead of liquid fabric softener, how about trying the disposable sheets in the dryer?

Do you think Jinghuashei owns any Chinese laundries? "Solly, no tickee, no washee-ton!"

Chris

I had posted this story a couple of years ago when Mr. Holsen retired.

Welcome aboard PennyGuy

coinwasher.jpg

Rob Holsen is the official "coin washer" at San Francisco's Westin St. Francis Hotel. In 1935, general manager Dan London noticed that women attending weekly fashion shows at the hotel were soiling their white gloves on the change they used to pay for lunch, so he decided that all coins used at the St. Francis would be washed.

"In recent years, when I was a cashier at the hotel, we were required to segregate 'dirty money' from clean," Holsen says. "Anyone who was observed giving dirty money to guests was admonished according to the St. Francis Clean Money Policy. The 'dirty money' was returned to the general cashier for washing and reissue."

Although credit cards have replaced cash and cellphones have replaced pay phones, coins still circulate. "We continue the tradition of coin washing because it represents a tradition of elegance of times past," he says.

Yea, but they use what I would consider a harsh method of cleaning. I was thinking of something more "gentle" that would cause fewer problems.

Now I am really curious. I have to give this a try with before and after pictures.

I am in the process of collecting a few coins out of my "stash" to try this with. So far, I have an early Jefferson nickel, Buffalo Nickel, and Barber Dime. None would be graded above Fine and of "common" dates. Basically, stuff you may find in a junk box. Since the Whitman show is this week, I may go through some junk boxes to see what I can find. I would like to find a dirty silver quarter and clad pieces.

Stay tuned.

Scott

Thanks WJ, been around the hobby for 50+ years, finally decided to register here. As my avatar suggests, I'm into ones and twos.

Welcome to the neighborhood, PG!

Chris

Thanks WJ, been around the hobby for 50+ years, finally decided to register here. As my avatar suggests, I'm into ones and twos.

Chris

Thanks cpm......I probably won't have a lot to say, but I do enjoy this site.

Chris

Thanks cpm......I probably won't have a lot to say, but I do enjoy this site.

That doesn't matter! I don't have much to say around here, either, but they still put up with me.

Chris