• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anticipating a screwing

20 posts in this topic

So at 48 hrs left (I got it at T-24 hrs) on an item I'm selling on eBay, the high bidder sends me a message saying that he thought he was bidding on a D, not a P mint coin. The auction listing is all of two lines, the first one saying (P) in size 34 font, plus a big photo of the coin and a photo of the slab's label. Bidder wants me to retract his bid for him. I figure if I do, it will look to the other bidders like I'm removing a shill bid. Besides, the bidder was capable of retracting the bid for himself until 12 hrs prior to the end. If the bidder wins, I figure I'm out all the fees and he'll return it (3 days return policy).

I replied to his email (posting it to the auction) that I was sorry he misread the SINGLE line description and that he should read and follow eBay's bid retraction guidelines (link provided). I didn't retract his bid for him. I got no reply.

Did I do right?

I'm not sure that there is a right or wrong answer.

One thing you could try is making a second chance offer to the next highest bidder after the auction is over. I'm not even sure that is available anymore but I have done that in the past when the winning bidder did not pay.

You could have removed his bid without people thinking it was a shill bid , you did post his question and your answer on the auction listing. I think you answered him correctly however if you had the option to cancel his bid you should have done so .

Per eBay rules, since you're a seller, you're a scumbag. You're in the wrong and the buyer is in the right. These facts are written in stone and cannot be changed no matter the truth.

To cause you the least amount of problem, just remove his bid and block him from bidding. This guy can end up not paying, leave you negative feedback and 1 DSR stars for everything and since you have so few sales, screw up your ability to sell on eBay. And do not assume that eBay will do anything about this or care about you. You are meaningless to them.

I totally hate flakes on the Bay like that buyer your talking about. It seems they always come out when money's tight.

With their FB rules blocking you from giving him a neg your up the creek. I would suggest you do whats in your best interests in avoiding a nasty situation which could be detrinental to your business; disgression is the better part of valor.

I left eBay as a seller going on two years ago now, and the feeling was wonderfully liberating. I get that same marvelous feeling every time I read about other folks' ongoing annoyances with such a miserable company. Getting off the 'Bay was one of my best numismatic decisions ever.

I wish there was a thing called Coin-Bay or something similar just for numismatists, only ANA members, no crud rules and whatnot. Might make a viable auction marketplace...then again might get flooded with the same Chinese junk that's already on eBay.

I wish there was a thing called Coin-Bay or something similar just for numismatists, only ANA members, no crud rules and whatnot. Might make a viable auction marketplace...then again might get flooded with the same Chinese junk that's already on eBay.

I think it's been tried a couple of times in a half-assed manor.But,if it were fair and had some consequences for bad behaviour for buyers and sellers then it could work. But enforcing consequences(whatever they may be)fairly would be a good trick. I suppose a loss of ANA membership,if you could get them onboard.Doubtful. It won't be me setting it up,that's a fact.

Personally, I wouldn't like any auction venue with Bay in the name. How about "CyberCoin" or "CoinNet" or "NumisNet"?

Chris

Personally, I wouldn't like any auction venue with Bay in the name. How about "CyberCoin" or "CoinNet" or "NumisNet"?

Chris

Coin Cove? Halfpenny Harbor?

it seems that the sellers on ebay are now employees of ebay. if ebay has full control over a contracted sale then the seller is a employee of them.

there are rules set and if the picture and info of the item are correct you have done nothing wrong.

make the bidder eat the bid.

also has any one tried leaving the word negative (-) within the feedback or is this a blocked word on there system? you may not be able to leave a neg but you should be able to leave a feedback like " NEGATIVE TRANSACTION! ".

also has any one tried leaving the word negative (-) within the feedback or is this a blocked word on there system? you may not be able to leave a neg but you should be able to leave a feedback like " NEGATIVE TRANSACTION! ".

False positives are against eBay rules and will be removed and you might also be removed.

Wow , I have not used the 'Bay' in a while . Does not look like it is changing for the better ....what started out as a working idea has been censored , over-controlled , and really almost converted into a different animal altogether . It looks like one of those 'flea markets' where all the sellers are selling the same stuff and it is mostly knock-off reproductions under the control or umbrella of a larger company...ever been to one of those type 'flea markets' ? The ones where each stall has almost the same useless stuff that looks the same from one bin to the next? On the outside, in the parking lot tables, are the mom-an-pop's selling their household wares with less protection from the weather and thieves that 'swipe' ....it looks like and sounds like the old 'Bay' is 'Corporated' as a venue for warehouse sales more than individual sellers now. But that is how is is starting to look to me , and my opinion and perspective is that of my own , of course.

they have changed an "auction venue" into a "flea market" for sure. heck some people forget what a real auction runs like cause ebay has told them thats what they are doing is selling something at auction. just cause there is bidding doesnt mean there is an auction happening. i get bids for construction all the time but im not holding an auction.

they have helped many many people get "virtualy robbed" and nothing seems to be done.

the closest i can think of the word auction with ebay is "silent" that is the only type that ends before bidding has stopped or has a end bid time.

in all actuality the sellers should be wondering what price they would get if bidding kept going.......

I think all three of those names are already in use.

the closest i can think of the word auction with ebay is "silent" that is the only type that ends before bidding has stopped or has a end bid time.

Mail bid auction. Only difference is with a mail bid auction you have one shot and you may have no idea what the current high bid is when you submit your bid.