• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to ship?

11 posts in this topic

I usually do not sell via E-bay coin wise, but what is the best way to ship coins in the 1K to 3K range? Hell even over 100 bucks?

Thanks in advance :)

I should also add what is the normal shipping cost for items in these range? I do not want to make money on shipping, just want to cover it.

If you are receiving funds via PayPal then you must send items at or over $250 with Signature Confirmation. This is a requirement to protect yourself even if you are sending by Registered Mail, which in itself requires a signature. If the item is less than $250 then you must ship with Delivery Confirmation even though this level of service affords little protection or assurance from the USPS. I don't recall the level, but from about $600 or more it is less expensive to ship Registered Mail than it is to ship First Class. If it is a coin at $1,000 then I would guess about $15 would cover shipping.

$500 and above REGISTERED the only problem with registered is it takes a long LONG time and in this current day and age where everything needs to be instant gradification many dont like the "long" wait

While it's a pain to pack using the old fashioned paper tape Registered Mail is the best and safest way to ship really expensive coins especially if you are shipping overseas.

Otherwise insured Priority Mail within the US. As long as the package is insured you are covered.

If you ship a lot of valuable material the best way to go is to buy private insurance and use Fed Ex or the Post Office’s overnight service. If your stuff is worth less than say $450, the Post Office insurance is the cost effective. Beyond that registered mail is pretty safe, but also pretty slow.

Like Bill, I live fairly close to NGC, so for me, shipping Registered USPS takes only 2 days at the most.

I didn't know that FedEx would ship to a PO Box.

Chris

If you are receiving funds via PayPal then you must send items at or over $250 with Signature Confirmation. This is a requirement to protect yourself even if you are sending by Registered Mail, which in itself requires a signature. If the item is less than $250 then you must ship with Delivery Confirmation even though this level of service affords little protection or assurance from the USPS. I don't recall the level, but from about $600 or more it is less expensive to ship Registered Mail than it is to ship First Class. If it is a coin at $1,000 then I would guess about $15 would cover shipping.

Tom's right on the money. Can't add to that!

For US based shipments, if you're going to use Post Office insurance, it is cheapest to use Registered Mail above $1,400 in value and standard insured under that value.

There are better insurance alternatives out there. You can purchase insurance for individual packages thru some online web sites. I think these have either a $500 or $1000 per package limit and the cost is generally around 50%-70% of what the USPS charges. I know some smaller eBay sellers do this.

You can also get a policy with these companies at even lower rates if you plan on shipping regularly. My policy provides me with insurance at less than half the USPS rates and I don't have to wait in line at the PO to mail them or pack them up in the registered mail tape for expensive ones. I can throw a $5,000 coin in a bubble mailer and mail it off with no need for even delivery confirmation. I also get insurance on international packages which is something that you cannot do at the PO when shipping coins to most countries.

In reality, you should probably self insure up to the level you are comfortable with losing. Charge an extra buck or two for every package and when a claim comes along, pay it out of your pocket. The number of lost packages inside the US is going to be very small and not worth the cost of insurance. Even on international packages the number of lost packages is still very small.