• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is NGC slabbing coins "UPSIDE DOWN"?

10 posts in this topic

I noticed that NGC slabs the 2009 cents face down to show the "commemorative" reverse. I don't like it, but I understand it. My question is, why would they slab a new 2010 cent face down? This is a regular issue and should be face up as normal. I've never had a problem flipping over a slab to see the reverse....it's easy.

Do you think they would consider re-holdering my "upside down" coins to be face up like they should be?

Where you the original submitter? If not whomever submitted the coins probably requested it that way and yes if you sent the coin in and paid for a re-holder they would filp the coin over for you....but I can't imagine it would be worth the cost....shipping two and from and $10 for a reholder if it's currently in an edgeview holder hm

Roll the clock back to 1959

Had there been grading services back then, they would have put the Memorial (reverse) in the window on the label side also.

It's just to show what's new!

Krypto, It's not my coin. I don't have a 2010 cent (yet), I just noticed the photo in the recent journal entry entitled "What brings joy and satisfaction to a coin collector?" It made me wonder if they are going to do this as the new standard or, like you said, maybe the submitter requested it.

RWB, When it comes to "REGISTRY" sets, It's not complete until you have all the holes filled, and they all cost the same to have plasticized.

I just checked on eBay, and all of the NGC slabbed 2010 cents are "UPSIDE DOWN". It looks like you would have to make a special request to have them slabbed correctly with the date showing.

It's just not right. I won't buy one unless it's slabbed correctly.

I just checked on eBay, and all of the NGC slabbed 2010 cents are "UPSIDE DOWN". It looks like you would have to make a special request to have them slabbed correctly with the date showing.

It's just not right. I won't buy one unless it's slabbed correctly.

I think it's a wise idea to buy what you like....in this ase I wouldn't say they are slabbed incorrectly as probably 95% of collectors would prefer the new reverse to be on the front since it's a new design but I am sure there are others that feel as you do. I doubt you will find one to your liking so you may have to consider submitting one yourself hm

Good Luck (thumbs u

RWB, When it comes to "REGISTRY" sets, It's not complete until you have all the holes filled, and they all cost the same to have plasticized.

Seems incredibly wasteful and foolish to me..... just a personal opinion.