• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion Please: What would you do with this Bust Half.

17 posts in this topic

This Bust Half resides in a PCI Gold slab as a MS62. I have doubts about the color.

It is actually darker that the picture. I don't like the coin as it now is.

Would this be a candidate for a trip to NCS to see if it could be lightened up?

From what I see under the toning it looks OK no hairlines.

I thought about dipping it but don't have the nerve.

Should I take the chance and send it to NGC for grading as is?

Sell it in the PCI holder and get one I like?

Photobucket

This looks like a severely altered coin to me. NCS won't be able to help it, and even if they did lighten it up, it would look worse.

I think you will need to dump this coin for AU-50 money as quickly as you can, and move on. It's a bad money mistake that won't be corrected no matter how much good money you throw at it :( .

Not sure that I can tell much from these pics. Is there complete luster or is it broken in the fields? Obviously it will be muted with toning like that, but without seeing it in hand, its hard to tell anything. I would take it to a trusted dealer or to a show have an expert look at it.

I'm not sure how anyone can tell that there's a problem with this coin from the images. The fact that it's in a PCI slab means it probably has problems, but they can't be seen, and who knows what they are? All I can say about the coin is that it is a slider AU58+ in terms of wear. If it is AT, a dip or less harsh method of conservation may remove the AT and make it a perfectly acceptable AU58+ coin.

I'm not sure how anyone can tell that there's a problem with this coin from the images. The fact that it's in a PCI slab means it probably has problems, but they can't be seen, and who knows what they are? All I can say about the coin is that it is a slider AU58+ in terms of wear. If it is AT, a dip or less harsh method of conservation may remove the AT and make it a perfectly acceptable AU58+ coin.
The color in the images is far enough removed from original looking, such that even if it is somewhat off, the coin screams messed with.

I always thought it may have been AT. I have reloaded the image. These are closer too what the coin looks like in hand. The obv looks more like a nice chocolate copper then a silver coin. Thanks for the opinions

sell it in the holder and let some other genius think they can get an upgrade and /or crossover or wahtever they think as long as you get the money you are comfortable with and in line with current pricing for such a coin in todays market

in other words

sell it as is

in the holder and then go buy aN ALREADY GRADED ngc bust half you really LIKE

good luck and let me know waht happens!

Sell it. If you try to fix it the lesson may be expensive. I wouldn't throw more money at it with NCS, either. Buy one you like.

Lance.

If you are unhappy with this coin, I would advise you to sell it for whatever you can get. The coin as been given a thick layer of artificial toning and removing it or partially removing that layer will leave it dull, lifeless and ugly. Nothing positive can come out of fooling with this half dollar.

Sell the coin and move on . It is unlikely that you would get much better then AU 58 money for this. If you have a trusted dealer I suggest having him take a quick look at it before you sell the coin. Trying to conserve a coin like this is a waste of money , finding a decent Au 58 – Ms 62 1831 Bust is not that difficult.

Bad surfaces...I would try to recoup whatever I could. This is the reason that I buy only from the big 2 TPGS and I stay away from others. Also, I would leave it in the PCI holder it won't lighten up or crossover well for you.

If you are unhappy with it, apparently you will sell it. It might be worth a shot to see if it will cross into a NGC or PCGS holder -- at least that way it would be more salable, even if it crossed at a lower grade.