• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Birthday Honest Abe Post your Lincolns.

38 posts in this topic

Lincoln57D_66RB.jpg

OK, now to see who here really knows their trivia. Who else was born on 2/12 1809 that was arguably even more important than Lincoln as a historical figure?

As a big Lincoln camaign medalet collector, I could go on and on with this, but, I'll spare you with only a few ...

AL186075O.jpg

LincolnFerroO64.jpg

AL1860-12Ojpg.jpg

AL1864-4O.jpg

AL186031O.jpg

LincolnFerroO60.jpg

And It is my belief that this is Lincoln, but not everyone agrees ...

LincolnPrimative-1.jpg

I’ve got two guesses for that one.

If you are in the “That’s not Lincoln camp,” it means that this merchant’s token could be redeemed for something although what that might have been is not clear. This die was used on a number of (mostly) Rhode Island or Connecticut merchant Civil War tokens, but all of them are rare.

The second interpretation could be that Lincoln’s determination and perseverance got him re-elected to a second term and that his position was “redeemed.” People don’t realize the political pressure that Lincoln was under. The Confederates wanted to leave the Union. The Donkey Party people wanted to vote him out of office. Within his own party his secretary of the treasury (Salmon Chase) wanted to take the presidential nomination away from him. John C. Fremont ran as split off faction of the Elephant Party for a while. People were pushing for U.S. Grant to get the Elephant Party nomination.

Even Lincoln himself thought that he would lose. He asked in August 1864 he asked the members of his cabinet to sigh a pledge that they would help the new incoming president to save the Union. Lincoln thought that the pressure on the new president would be too great to the end the war quickly with the South forming a new nation.

After Lincoln survived all of those political storms, his position had been “redeemed."

Here is the reverse of that Lincoln token. It is rated as an R-9 (2 to 4 known), but there are perhaps 100 of so of these tokens with different obverses known.

LincolnPrimativeR-1.jpg

OK, cpm9ball, I'll see you and raise you. ;)

This custom Lincoln limo was used during the Franklin Roosevelt and Truman adminisatrations. Did you know that the Lincoln was named for Lincoln? Henry Ford was a Lincoln admirer. His collection included the chair Lincoln was sitting in on April 14, 1865.

PresidentsLincoln.jpg

I'd love to collect automobiles, but that's beyond my budget. This one is at the car museaum in Sarasota, Florida.

I'd love to collect automobiles, but that's beyond my budget. This one is at the car museaum in Sarasota, Florida.

Bill, I have that affliction. I collect lowly VWs and It can still put a pretty tight squeeze on the budget! Also I have always been a fan of Lincoln exonumia for a long time. I am sure none of us would have any problem wih you posting more! I love the ones you have shown already. (thumbs u

Here are some of my Lincoln coins...

IMG_2661a.jpgIMG_2654a.jpg

IMG_2659a.jpgIMG_2660a.jpg

IMG_2335a.jpgIMG_2337a.jpg

IMG_0731a.jpgIMG_0732.jpg

This Lincoln is a piece of junk. Only interesting thing was I found it in change Tuesday. Nicest change find in a long time for me. Now...if it was only about 30 points higher......

93446.jpg.faeb306545c5f134dd9c675f477dec0a.jpg

93447.jpg.cf8a89620c8b80613341d95e4bdce132.jpg

Just a casual collector(from my change,a small box left to me).

Found these in my change up here in Canada this week,

thought I would share for fun.Hope it is okay!

93450.jpg.1739db89ee98408699e8da7cce5dfe75.jpg

93451.jpg.f7eedbb35ae2964427a38a56a2e09f2b.jpg

Happy Birthday Mr. Lincoln. A raw 1909 VDB and an 1909 S VDB, NGC VG 10 BN. (apologies for the poor image)

Rey

1909VDBOb.jpg

1909R.jpg

1909SVDBObv.jpg

1909SVDBRev.jpg

Boy...I bet you would love to swap the mint-mark on those!

A couple of Lincoln the railsplitter images ... He used this effectively in his 1860 presidential campaign. This one is most often seen in white metal. It is scarce in copper.

AL186010O.jpgAL186010R.jpg

This is the most common of the Lincoln railsplitter medalets. Note that arch political rival, Stephen Douglas, is holding the wedge for young Lincoln as he swings the mallet on the reverse.

AL186041O.jpgAL186041R.jpg

These two small Lincoln pieces from the 1864 campaign are smaller than a dime. The gold filled one on the left is in high relief. These were executed by the Key company of die sinkers of Philadelphia. In later years, William Key would be on the staff at the Philadelphia mint along side Charles Barber and George Morgan.

129130Obv.jpg

And the reverses

129130Revs.jpg