• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help - british gold coin

13 posts in this topic

I am guessing gold due to its weight and that is what I was told it was when my grandmother gave it to me.

It is slightly larger than a nickel.

Rev attached

70470-goldbritrev.jpg.5b0e9fef348694f02b661067515e94f2.jpg

Based on the size description, it is a George V sovereign. From 1911 to 1928 it was the large head variety, from 1929 to 1932 it was the small head variety. Unless it's just my eyes, it also appears that there is a mint mark below the right hind leg hoof (SA -South Africa). I do not have a Krause but it should at least sell for spot gold + premium (.23 tr oz gold). Hope this helps.

The 1931-SA is a common date but this piece looks Uncirculated. It contains 0.2354 oz of gold, melt value at $1790 is ~$22. If it is truly Mint State it might bring from $475-$525 in a MS62-63 NGC/PCGS slab.

If you are positive it's genuine (there are lot's of Chinese counterfeits out there these days) you don't absolutely have to get it certified, though it would help.

Nevertheless, if you are going to sell this on eBay you will need a larger photo (or scan) or people will think you are hiding something.

Crank your scanner up to 600dpi and make it look like this.....

1900France20FMS65-3.jpg

I don't know if the OP will reply. This thread is nearly NINE years old!!

I didn't notice this either but I'm glad HiHo posted the 20 Francs - very pretty. My wife really likes it too.