• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 CC Morgan on eBay

9 posts in this topic

Howdy all. I am bored as heck while in Iraq....half way through the year long deployment. Anyway, looking at this auction on eBay what grade would you give. I am thinking 62 or 63, but want others to point out my mistakes.

eBay Auction

btw...have a lot of POGS now if anyone collects them...lol.

Going by the picture, which is mediocre, I’d say the coin is either an MS-62 or a low end MS-63, but like I said the picture is not great. As a guide here are the current Gray Sheet bids for the 1878-CC dollar:

AU $115

MS-60 $170

MS-63 $255

Two things to bear in mind are that uncertified coins are worth less than certified coins on average, and prices for Morgan Dollars have been weak of late. If you can pick it up for not much more than the current bid AND you will be satisfied with a coin is this grade, it might be okay for you. Otherwise I’d pass.

As said, you can't go by images, it's just fun! That said, this seller has been selling the "million dollar estate" for awile now. I note that his feed-back is often multiples from the same person (shill bids?). In some of them the buyer is buying the same common date and mint coin more then once. Rarely, IMO, do people buy the same raw, common date dollar from the same seller, on the same day. I would steer clear, I suspect most of them are non-gradable coins.

First off keep ur head low and ur spirits high my friend!! The Morgan looks about 62 to me also. The pics are a little small but hard to see any indication of a cleaning to me.

Please stay away from this seller. Coins offered are almost always over-hyped. This coin is most probably a slider and is certainly not "rare" as the seller states. Sellers listings always refer to "estate" buys. Big tip off. Don't waste your time and money.

Carl

Internet went out right after posting...lol. Pitfalls of the location.

Anyway thanks for all the warnings and tips...I am aware, just bored out of my mind and haven't seen a coin in 6 months. OK, actually I got a real dime in change the other day, but besides that I'm gettin jittery...lol.

I wouldn't pay much on eBay for something ungraded and was going to ask the guy for better pics before I lost connection.

Someone mentioned the Morgan prices have sluffed off a bit eh!? About how much we talking?

Thanks I am gonna keep surfing.

Internet went out right after posting...lol. Pitfalls of the location.

Anyway thanks for all the warnings and tips...I am aware, just bored out of my mind and haven't seen a coin in 6 months. OK, actually I got a real dime in change the other day, but besides that I'm gettin jittery...lol.

I wouldn't pay much on eBay for something ungraded and was going to ask the guy for better pics before I lost connection.

Someone mentioned the Morgan prices have sluffed off a bit eh!? About how much we talking?

Thanks I am gonna keep surfing.

Stay away from the Raw EBAY stuff unless you are familiar with the seller and can trust that they don’t sell over graded , altered coins.