• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sent this CC Morgan in today...

18 posts in this topic

Hoping for a good grade! Has real nice eye-appeal and almost no contact marks! Cheek clear, just a rub. Great strikes on the hair and the eagle! Can I get at least a 64? Has just a hint of toning with great luster.

93337.jpg.c9e9ef33cd7a50c189f5c0dba2e8e299.jpg

93338.jpg.0000c60f9c113b8e320e4a7091b0e262.jpg

If there is no rub and good luster...which I can't tell from this photo....then the coin should grade min MS64 or even MS65....it almost looks too clean to me...but based on surface marks it looks to be gem to me.

Hoping for a good grade! Has real nice eye-appeal and almost no contact marks! Cheek clear, just a rub. Great strikes on the hair and the eagle! Can I get at least a 64? Has just a hint of toning with great luster.

MS63

Is that a scan? If so, that looks like it might be a nice MS coin in a GSA holder.

I think if it was in a GSA slab, you would see three small, black tabs over the rim of the reverse.

Chris

Maybe I'm a tough grader but I'm with physics-fan on this one. I see a slider. Check the protected areas around the date & stars. Looks like the coin has some rub. Of course you can't tell for sure from a scan, which this obviously is.

Best of luck and be sure to post the grading results when they become available.

With Lustre I see 64, perhaps even 65 (it's just hard to tell from a scan, as lustre and eye appeal are both far from obvious and provide so many other clues as to what is rub, and what is not)

That said, if I'm bidding on this from these pics only, you're getting an au58 bid... Although, for this coin, it's not really much different from the 64 bid....

Hope the "Halo" look on the obverse stars etc is just a result of the imaging... Other clues tell me this is likely a high quality coin with lesser quality image...

Good luck!

Is that a scan? If so, that looks like it might be a nice MS coin in a GSA holder.

Excellent call. In my experience the scan doesn't bring out any luster but really shows the detail and every contact mark. There is a small hit under the "L" on the obverse, and some chatter above the motto. Overall, the normal field appearance is contact-free! The one under the "L" I think is well-blended and doesn't really come into the field-focus. A really clean cheek, as the neck indent really stands out clearly. I'm hoping that the grader's focus is on the obverse, it will be interesting to see if the motto chatter "net-grades" it. Thanks for all the input, it will be interesting to receive the grade. We have everything from 58 to a possible 66, such is grading! I say 40%-64, 40%-65, 20%-63, CC's seem to grade a little easier. With some of the strike-detail I would say "lock 65", but as I understand strike isn't "supposed" to be a factor.

Strike is a factor in any grading. Allowances are given for dates and mints where strikes are notoriously weak. Example New Orleans Mint for most Morgan dates.

Nice clean coin from the scan. Weakness in the Strike in the Cap area and Wheat Stalk. Can't determine luster from the scan. Strongly struck reverse. IMO MS64 with a chance at MS65 if you have a solid cartwheel luster.

If it's in a GSA holder, as Chris said, the mounting tabs should show. I don't see any on Obverse or Reverse pics.

Carl