• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trade Dollar Dip results *see updated pic"

94 posts in this topic

From ugly, mottled toning to nice and shiny! The pics don't show it but it is semi-PL. With a bit of time it should mellow out.

Before

IMG_0208-1.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

After (updated pictures with better lighting)

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

I have to agree with Mark too. Unfortunately, the coin had already been dipped before and likely overdipped. The toning came back as it did, but at least it covered the unnaturally white surfaces. Now, the coin looks like a lot of other overdipped white Trade Dollars in the marketplace with commensurate value.

Wow....looks like all of the character and crust was stripped away.....coin might have had less than eye appealing toning before but now it looks damaged and the type of coin we would bash if we saw it listed on Ebay....poor little fellar :sorry:

This is the type of coin that with some knowledge, you probably could have just lightened and smoothed out the original toning.

Personally, I don't like the look of either.

OMG!

I was expecting an "Acetone Dip" thread but instead am presented with an E-Z-Est dip thread on a coin which should have never been dipped.

Sorry, but that Trade Dollar has been ruined.

Of course, this also shows exactly what toning can hide.

Well, it was already a dipped AU with obvious hairlines that might have been hidden by the dip residue toning that covered the coin, but now it has had another dip and the hairlines on it really stand out even more. Truly, it wasn't a great coin to begin with, but now it is just that much more obvious. If this is just the first step in a continuous plan of "improvement" then I would be happy to see the subsequent results. This is the kind of coin that I advise most folks to avoid in either the before or after state.

Sorry, but I agree with the others. I didn't like the "before" because it looks AT to me, and the "after" looks worse.

I suppose this could be a learning experience for you, but I hope that you will refrain from practicing the craft that you are learning. Coin doctors ruin more coins than they improve.

Coin doctors ruin more coins than they improve.

Highly doubtful unless you are including their junk practice coins.

EVERY Doctored Coin IS A Ruined Coin. Regardless of whether you are whizzing/polishing/toning/take your pick, Your actions serve to DEGRADE the surface of the coin via mechanical or chemical means.

DEGRADE=Lessen Quality=>RUIN

Just Don't Do it!

EVERY Doctored Coin IS A Ruined Coin. Regardless of whether you are whizzing/polishing/toning/take your pick, Your actions serve to DEGRADE the surface of the coin via mechanical or chemical means.

Just Don't Do it!

Completely incorrect, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Too much is lumped into the term "doctored". Too much of a knee jerk reaction to the term.

Just Don't Do it!

Completely incorrect, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Too much is lumped into the term "doctored". Too much of a knee jerk reaction to the term.

It's not an opinion IT IS A FACT!

If I am "incorrect" then please point out the flaw in my statements/Logic.

Do you contend that whizzing/polishing and other mechanical alterations to coins DO NOT result in damage to the surface of the coin?

OR

Do you contend that toning/dipping/chemical processing does not alter the surface quality of the coin?

OR

Do you contend that degrading the surface of a coin does not lessen the quality of that coin?

OR

Do you contend that the act of lessening the quality of a surface of a coin does not RUIN the coin?

You LOSE!

However, feel free to sandpaper your coins for all I care, as it only serves to increase the value of mine!

(Acts to preserve a coin from existing harmful/non-stable contaminants do not fall under Doctoring, but under preservation, and there is a BIG difference)

Hmm This could be interesting . :popcorn:

For the record - I would not put a simple dip in the doctoring category although I do understand why some would consider it as such because it does alter the surface of a coin. Not that I am condoning dipping a coin , I would much rather have natural skin on my coins. Dipping a coin , then applying heat and or chemicals or just a Taco Bell napkin to abtain tone or hide imperfections – that’s doctoring.

And then there was SILENCE

Chirp-Chirp-Chirp

I wouldn't count on continued silence from Greg. After all, it has only been less than an hour since you posted and he may not have read it yet.

And then there was SILENCE

Chirp-Chirp-Chirp

I wouldn't count on continued silence from Greg. After all, it has only been less than an hour since you posted and he may not have read it yet.

No worries, Thinking of opening a popcorn stand in the mean time. Just have to make sure to keep those buttery fingers off my coins:)

Hmm This could be interesting . :popcorn:

For the record - I would not put a simple dip in the doctoring category although I do understand why some would consider it as such because it does alter the surface of a coin. Not that I am condoning dipping a coin , I would much rather have natural skin on my coins. Dipping a coin , then applying heat and or chemicals or just a Taco Bell napkin to abtain tone or hide imperfections – that’s doctoring.

I don't have a huge problem with dipping. Some coins have just plain ugly toning, or they have got something on them is going to cause further damage. Is attractive original skin better? Sure! But I've got a few dipped coins in my collection that don't bother me.

I bought this 1875-S Twenty Cent piece in 1995. It has not changed a bit in almost 15 years. This coin is okay with me.

1875S20centO.jpg1875S20centR.jpg

I really like this 1874 with arrows half dollar. Yes it's been dipped and has some golden toning. But once again it's stable. You spend a lot money on this type and end up with a coin that just plain ugly. I looked at some of them at almost double what I paid for this piece. The coin is stable and it suits me.

1874halfdollarO.jpg1874halfdollarR.jpg