• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am Bored. For Kicks and Giggles, an 1812 CBH GTG

19 posts in this topic

Frankly I am on the fence about how much I like this one, so what do you chaps think? hm

I can help just send it to me and you wont be on the fence anymore!! lol

AU55 (shrug)

I should throw it out there that in hand, yes it is an AU coin. Just AU what?

If you are curious, the problem I have with it is that this clearly is a dipped and re-toned coin (or at least I think it is). But it still has a certain charm about it. The grade given by NGC is a bit of a stretch, but not so much where you say NFW.

Continue... :popcorn:

If you are curious, the problem I have with it is that this clearly is a dipped and re-toned coin (or at least I think it is). But it still has a certain charm about it. The grade given by NGC is a bit of a stretch, but not so much where you say NFW.

Before I read your post my thought was dipped and re tonned. The coin is fine but not a coin that I see in your collection because I know how much you like originality .

I grade it AU 50 . Those marks on the face concern me a bit .

Before I read your post my thought was dipped and re tonned. The coin is fine but not a coin that I see in your collection because I know how much you like originality .

I grade it AU 50 . Those marks on the face concern me a bit .

Marks are actually part of the charm... and exaggerated by the size of the pics. Just circulation wear...But truly this thread has nothing to do with complaints...just for fun. :)

The marks aren't a problem to me, but I do grade it as not really belonging with the rest of your collection. The overall look just does nothing for me. You can find a much more attractive 107, IMO.

My first thought was, yes, it's obviously not an original piece, but then I saw that you addressed that already. However, bright, lustrous AU Bust halves are appealing (to certain crouds) when they are meaty like this one. I would say no more than AU53, though I can't judge the luster from the pics.

The marks aren't a problem to me, but I do grade it as not really belonging with the rest of your collection. The overall look just does nothing for me. You can find a much more attractive 107, IMO.

Hee hee, I already got a decent 107, but its a VF 35. My collection will consist (one day down the long and winding road) of nearly (or perhaps more than) 450 CBH's, so all don't need to be purrrfect :grin: Well eventually maybe, but heck, its all good in the long run I think... (:

I'm with Mark T, the bumps and bruises on Liberty's chin really bother me. Almost looks like she was in a fight.

Put me down for AU53, although I think it probably graded AU58 because of the strong reverse.

I'll say 53. I always end up selling “but” coins. No matter how long I try to enjoy their positive qualities, if there is a “but” I just can’t get over it. Then again, that may just be me…

This coin is one of those that does not have a thick crust to throw off the graders when it comes to determining luster. NGC gave it a 55. I am more inclined to think of it as a 53. There are a few marks, but nothing too distracting (in hand at least). The luster is decent enough, and the gold tone it has is pleasant. Has the appearance of a dipped coin that was envelope stored for a long time. The strike on this one is quite nice. for now, it shall remain, as it will be one of many. But down the road, who knows?