• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Walker Short Set with a flashback

5 posts in this topic

After seeing some fabulous examples of coins in 'older' NGC holders. Over the past few years I have noticed that the number of 'older holder' slabs has been on declining. However, I have also noticed that when located, that the coins are sometimes quite nice.

Putting together a Walker Short-Set is always fun - Deciding on the grade, the 'look' you want the set to present, and seeking out the coins. Putting together a Short Set of Walkers only of NGC early-generation certified coins seemed to be the way to go. Not only would it be a challenge, but it became sort of a historic endeavor, since these types of slabs have a low survival rate.

Last year I began accumulating a few Walkers in early (generations 2 through 4, according to Condor). These are the slabs that are referred to by terms like: no-line Fattie, NGC Fatties, no-line holders, thick-slab, These were also during the pre-barcode era between 11/1987 through sometime in 1992.

Attached are a couple of Walkers that have been 'green bean' approved. I have started a Registry set: Pre-Barcode (Older Holder) NGC Short Set.

Andy

92881.jpg.2d86809824863cfb62698a36f2e88985.jpg

92882.jpg.e4a5aa9605574fb37bc33cab86ea0b85.jpg

Andy---- This sounds a lot like what "relics" is doing by collecting a type set in the old ANACS holders of the early 1980's. Certainly quite the endeavor on your part. Good luck to you. Bob [supertooth]