• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Green Bean - on a Circulated Walker

23 posts in this topic

To continue the excellent discussion on circulated Walkers begun in my previous thread - I now present Exhibit B. I won this recently on Heritage (so don't go cheating looking at the grade!). This is my first coin with a CAC green been - and I can categorically state that 100% of my CAC stickered coins are indeed PQ ;)

I believe this coin is much more original than my last one, and I hope it will meet with Supertooth's approval. Holding this coin side by side with my 1918S, the difference is amazing - much more than I would have expected, honestly. The learning continues.

So, wager a guess on this one, give your opinions, and lets see if we can learn something more.

92830.jpg.1dc91ce59b81fb4c1c120a1578c61a43.jpg

92831.jpg.05d0d1f6fc00ff634036f6f15e3696d1.jpg

Now this appears to be a truly nice coin! I like the coin as an EF45 and I hope PCGS did not hold it back at EF40 because of the thicker crust. It looks original and choice. It's wonderful.

Now that is a good one , no surprise considering it is CAC.

Considering you are working on early Walkers in the XF grade I will go with XF 45 as well.

Great looking coin! I look at circ Walkers in F-VF at almost every show I attend hoping to find one for my younger daughter to add to her collection. I am amazed at how difficult it is to find truly nice coins in those lower grades, and I imagine it's even more difficult in the EF-AU range. You're going to have a lot of fun!

I'm glad y'all approve. This one was graded by PCGS at EF-45 - with which I agree. I paid strong money for it, but I believe its worth it. As TomB has explained before, paying strong money for the right coins is usually necessary, and worth it.

That is a much nicer coin with good skirtline and breast feather definition! XF 45 !! Very nice coin with a low mintage! Way to go!! One of my favorites in the series!

I just noticed after I posted this that you gave the grade away in the thread right before/above. I didn't notice it, though, until just now.. I certainly knew that was an xf 45, without question. Very nice and right on the money!!

Hello Folks-----Since I knew the grade, I wanted to wait until Jason posted before commenting on the coin.

Want all of you "TO THINK" about what I am about to say----and please take it the right way. I believe in slabbing coins---if just for no other purpose than protecting them from harm.

Especially in these days and times, IF YOU ARE SELLING ANYTHING, it is certainly better that the piece be in either an NGC or a PCGS holder. You will definitely get more money for it that way usually.

But, honestly, do any of you who have collected the Walker at all-----really need either NGC or PCGS or the CAC to tell you that this 17D Obverse coin is a "NICE" piece?? And, if you get my drift, you have already looked at the coin----and it has spoken to you. "THINK" about what I am saying. You made that decision on your own---virtually as soon as you saw the coin's picture. And, that is why I say that, if you know your series well, YOU CAN MAKE THE DETERMINATION "ON YOUR OWN".

This coin is pretty darn scarce in the XF grading. At one time, I owned the only XF40 graded coin that NGC had graded. But, even today, there are very few slabbed in this grade at either NGC or at PCGS. It is one of those sort of odd things where the XF grade is probably rarer than an Unc conditioned coin. It happens more than a few times within the Walker series.

I can hear my good friend Tom B----when he saw this coin----saying---"now this is much better"----and----"it is pleasing to my eyes". For it is certainly that. And, yes, this coin does get the "supertooth seal of approval".

Jason----now you can use this piece as sort of a guide coin. It is a "strong" XF45 coin. Please do not expect to run around and find all the "early" Walkers that will look like this piece. For it simply "WILL NOT" happen. All the best to all of you in your collecting efforts. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks Bob. I will take this opportunity now to unveil the "Supertooth Seal of Approval." When a true expert in a series, and a guy so incredibly passionate about them, approves highly of a coin - you know that it is a really good one. So I made Bob this seal ;)

Copyofuntitledcopy.jpg

Jason Poe----- When you showed me this the other day, I was touched. And, I thank you once again for your kindness and talent.

But, in all fairness, the term "supertooth seal of approval" comes from neither myself or Jason. Although the art work is totally Jason's. Maybe we should patent it??

But, the term was first used by the person on this forum whom I believe has as much passion for the Walker series as I do. He is a very humble man. Probably will get mad at me for even mentioning this. But, one day, I was pleased with a coin that he had bought. He wrote back feeling well satisfied with himself. And, in the process, told me that he was glad that he had gotten the "supertooth seal of approval".

That gentleman is D.D. [ Dewayne]-----my Bama Walker buddy. He doesn't post much----and is a man of few words. But, he seems quite capable of saying in two lines as much as I can say in a thousand words.

I like to give credit where credit is due. Take care. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks Bob. I will take this opportunity now to unveil the "Supertooth Seal of Approval." When a true expert in a series, and a guy so incredibly passionate about them, approves highly of a coin - you know that it is a really good one. So I made Bob this seal ;)

Copyofuntitledcopy.jpg

Dang, Jason, when I first saw that seal of approval I thought it was something else and you were about to get banned!!! hm:o:insane:

Yes, Bob is correct in that this coin vs. the 1918-S is like the difference between night and day and Bob is also correct in that these EF coins are tough birds and you do not need PCGS, NGC, CAC or anyone else to tell you a nice coin when you have the knowledge already in your head. I built my VF Barber half series over the course of perhaps five or six years and one of the first pieces I was fortunate enough to find was a perfect 1914 in EF45. I used that coin as a guide to help match the look of the other coins in the set and while this was not possible, it certainly helped guide me along in my quest.

LillianGish.jpg

Looking at Ms. Liberty on this Walker is like looking at a 1917 silent motion picture. It's

as though she could walk right off the coin...the shadowing, the texture, along with your

ever improving skills of capturing these magnificent coins should inspire others to appreciate

this series.

Lillian Gish would be envious.

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts guys.

Sweet Walker Jason!

I really like the looks of that coin, about as original as Apple pie. And a tough date too. Good luck searching for other examples like this one! :cloud9: