• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess this just back from NGC graded Morgan

30 posts in this topic

Although I would initially think that this Morgan DID receive a PL designation , since you say it's tricky , I'll say it DIDN'T get a PL , but DID receive a star designation. MS 65*star ???

The coin appears to be PL but it might be your lighting .

Assuming this coin is MS I would grade as follows :

Low End : MS 63 PL

High End : MS 64 PL

I see what appears to be friction on the high points , I have seen this on many MS Morgans however I will be an a-hole and note that even thought this coin looks nice and PL it could still only be Au 58

:grin:

however I will be an a-hole and note that even thought this coin looks nice and PL it could still only be Au 58

An A-hole??? You??? Awww c'mon Mark, you're like a big teddy bear!!!! :roflmao:

Don, you have been quite lately . How are things ??

Did you see that 1885 MS 66 PL I picked up this month from Heritage ?

65 and I'm going with DMPL (Even though it a near impossible designation to get these days - The cameo look and dark, clean appearance of the fields are big contributors to this opinion)

If the pictures are accurate the stars and lettering are not frosted/ or frosted enough to get a PL in my mind - Nice coin though = Lot of field hash too

If it got a PL you did good

MS63*

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE WINNER IS....

SCHATZY!

ITS A 64 STAR. NICE CALL.

to be honest, i can see that it didn't get PL or DMPL, but not that it didn't grade 65...! The star just says that is a 'nicer' coin, or has superior eye appeal, to other 64s.

SCHATZY!

Actually, I got it right before Schatzy in a PM I sent to Mark T 3 hours before Schatzy posted his grade.

Chris :hi:

SCHATZY!

Actually, I got it right before Schatzy in a PM I sent to Mark T 3 hours before Schatzy posted his grade.

Yes Chris did send me a PM and guessed MS 64 star .

SCHATZY!

:ohnoez::eyeroll:

Ok you received a decent grade on this coin. Numismedia value is $ 60 for a 1881-S MS 64 , you will get a premium because of the star . How much did this coin cost you ?

What about all those others ones you posted here ??

I know you sent them in for a grade so why not tell us the results ?

I am curious about the coin where some of us thought the surface of the coin was to smooth, as well as that 1882-O which many of us thought was a nice looking coin based on the picture you posted .

TC, this hasn't been mentioned yet, but you're giving the wrong message to the beginners who come to this site looking for answers. For years now, it has been posted over and over again 1) buy the book before the coin, 2) unless you know the seller, you're taking a big risk buying raw coins on eBay and 3) if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Don't you realize that when you say there is nothing wrong with buying coins from lousy photos or you post photos of coins that will obviously bodybag that you are misleading those newcomers to the hobby into thinking that it is okay? You may get enjoyment out of the "scores", but you've probably given up more runs to the opponents when it is all over. There are a lot of seasoned veterans here, and they have heard it all. Believe me! So, I hope you can understand why some of them, have been so skeptical of your claims. It takes a big man to admit that he is wrong, but it does make them a better human being.

I hope that you will continue to post and ask lots of questions because it will help you as a collector more than you know, and there isn't a single person on these forums who isn't eager to help others.

So, what do you say? Let's start over. Okay?

Welcome to our little corner of the world!

Chris

Freshly back to the board and rejuvenating my grading skillz from pictures .. I

shy'd to the lessor grade ... My description of the NON PL grade is pretty accurate I think.

Again Pretty coin and I would not hesitate to have that in my own collection.

congrats

however I will be an a-hole and note that even thought this coin looks nice and PL it could still only be Au 58

An A-hole??? You??? Awww c'mon Mark, you're like a big teddy bear!!!! :roflmao:

Don, you have been quite lately . How are things ??

Did you see that 1885 MS 66 PL I picked up this month from Heritage ?

All is well Mark, thanks. I've been quite busy the past month or so, but I'll be back to normal in a bit. I haven't picked up anything but I already have plans for some of my income tax refund (unless the Mrs. has other plans)

Send me a link with your '85 66PL Morgan or e-mail them to me.

As always, best regards

i think i got this one for something like 25 or so.... listen guys to each his own, for me its fun to treasure hunt, and i could afford to buy tons of graded stuff.... i will post an amazingly toned peace dollar i picked up recently tomorrow. even if its AT i love it, but pretty sure its not.

what i am really curious about is the TONED 1881 PROOF LIKE MORGAN but as i sent is to NGC with the cheapest service, so they are taking their time. shouldnt be more than 10 more days or so. could be a home run or a 'puttied' something or another a poster mentioned. but i think i only paid 40 bucks for it so would not make a lot of sense for the seller wasting a ton of time on it.