• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sending Coins for TP Grading

13 posts in this topic

I have never submitted a coin to a TPG for grading but would soon like to do so. Without trying to cause a problem, I have some questions/concerns maybe some of you would address. I have read other posts indicating at times coins do not come back from the TPG in the exact same condition they were submitted. I could understand that if the coin was sent in for Conservation first. Will a TPG, with out the submitters suggestion, alter coins being graded? Do they dip them? Do they alter toning? Continuing - how do you know the coins you submitted are the same coins you get back? Have any of you had this happen to you in that you questioned "is this the same coin I submitted"? How frequently does a coin get "lost" in the mail - either never received by the TPG or not returned to the submitter? I am dating myself when I say I am a bit old fashioned but in this day and age the issue of "trust" is one that concerns me. I know I have posed a lot of questions here but I really am interested in your thoughts, past experiences, and anything else related to sending coins in for grading.

I have submitted hundreds of coins in the past 2-years. I have never had one single coin lost or damaged in transit and I certainly have never had one dipped or altered in anyway. I have heard tails of some coins being dipped etc and I really can't say it didn't happen but from my experience I would think it highly unlikely.

I have submitted hundreds of coins in the past 2-years. I have never had one single coin lost or damaged in transit and I certainly have never had one dipped or altered in anyway. I have heard tails of some coins being dipped etc and I really can't say it didn't happen but from my experience I would think it highly unlikely.

On a much smaller scale, this has been my experience as well.

I have read other posts indicating at times coins do not come back from the TPG in the exact same condition they were submitted. I could understand that if the coin was sent in for Conservation first. Will a TPG, with out the submitters suggestion, alter coins being graded?

I doubt it very seriously. When you consider that NGC is responsible for the coin based on the (honestly) estimated value, it would seem unlikely that they would put themselves at risk, financially.

Do they dip them? Do they alter toning?

This would only be done if conservation was requested by the submitter. Again, NGC would be putting themselves at risk for the estimated value of the coin.

Continuing - how do you know the coins you submitted are the same coins you get back? Have any of you had this happen to you in that you questioned "is this the same coin I submitted"?

From my experience dealing with NGC, I can only say that their staff of professionals has the highest regard for the coins entrusted in their care.

At a time when "non-dealer" members used to be able to make an appointment to deliver and pick-up their submissions, I had an occasion where one of my coins had ended up missing when I went there to take delivery. As a matter of fact, it was the Kennedy Error that you see on my sig line, below. They had several of their staff searching "high and low" for it. To be honest, they were more upset about it than I was. I knew that it would be found eventually. I'm sure you've had those times when you were looking and looking for something but you couldn't find it when all the time it was right under your nose. As it turned out, the coin was in the vault the whole time. It's just that the people searching had a preconceived idea of what a Kennedy half dollar should look like, and they looked right past this copper-colored coin.

How frequently does a coin get "lost" in the mail - either never received by the TPG or not returned to the submitter?

I trust the staff of NGC, but I can't say the same thing for all postal employees. There are just too many of them everywhere. Yes, sometimes packages do get lost or stolen in transit, and that is why NGC prefers that coins be shipped via registered mail. It reduces the chances of being lost because the package is supposed to be logged in and out as it moves its way from its origin to its destination.

I am dating myself when I say I am a bit old fashioned but in this day and age the issue of "trust" is one that concerns me.

If you want a chance to meet some of the NGC staff to voice your concerns face-to-face, then you might want to consider attending one of the NGC luncheons which is held annually at the FUN Show in January. The folks at NGC would be more than happy to take the time to talk to you.

Chris

One other note.....I image every cin that passes through my hands so if there were ever a question with regards to getting a different coin back I would simply refer back to my high res pictures. Also I only collect toned coins and I have a near perfect memory with regards to the coins I own or have owned since each toned coin is unique. For common date white coins like Morgans, washington's, Roosies I could see how it might be difficult to distiguish one from the other...hence the reason I collect toners lol

I have had one case where the TPG (ATS) dipped a coin without my permission and aggressively lied about it, blamed it on the postal service (X-Ray machine).and acted like I could not distinguish between a darkly toned coin and a white dipped one!

I have never had any issues with NGC. In fact their service has always been exemplary in every way. NGC has for the most part, gone out of their way to be fair and help me with the couple issues that I have had.

Your questions are reasonable but I consider your concerns unfounded.

Think of the really valuable coins which both NGC and PCGS have graded. Those which the typical collector submits are worth peanuts by comparison. Is it possible that coins could be lost or stolen? Yes. Is it likely? It would depend upon their process and procedures but based upon what I know and my experience, no.

I have also submitted hundreds of coins and have had no problems with any of them.

Jim Beam-----Chris and others are telling you the truth. Oh sure, there is a VERY SMALL chance that something could go wrong. But, insure wisely and ship by registered mail.

For your first submission----ship only a few coins----no more than 8 or 10. That way, you won't worry quite as much. Also, it will allow you to see how you do----without spending an enormous amount of money. You can always submit more coins.

Try to pick coins that you are most comfortable about. Coins that you feel could not possibly have a problem. Coins with no hairlines etc. Good luck. Bob [supertooth]

I have never submitted a coin to a TPG for grading but would soon like to do so. Without trying to cause a problem, I have some questions/concerns maybe some of you would address. I have read other posts indicating at times coins do not come back from the TPG in the exact same condition they were submitted. I could understand that if the coin was sent in for Conservation first. Will a TPG, with out the submitters suggestion, alter coins being graded? Do they dip them? Do they alter toning? Continuing - how do you know the coins you submitted are the same coins you get back? Have any of you had this happen to you in that you questioned "is this the same coin I submitted"? How frequently does a coin get "lost" in the mail - either never received by the TPG or not returned to the submitter? I am dating myself when I say I am a bit old fashioned but in this day and age the issue of "trust" is one that concerns me. I know I have posed a lot of questions here but I really am interested in your thoughts, past experiences, and anything else related to sending coins in for grading.

I've only ever heard rumours,but something they may have done in the past with wildly toned coins is a small test patch of the tone.But even then I've seen no definitive evidence.

Your questions are reasonable but I consider your concerns unfounded.

(thumbs u

I have never had any issues with NGC. In fact their service has always been exemplary in every way. NGC has for the most part, gone out of their way to be fair and help me with the couple issues that I have had.

(thumbs u

if you are still that concerned then DONT send any coins to ngc or any service and leave them raw then you can sleep at night and they are still the exact same coins weather in or out of the ngc/pcgs holder

I have a high def camcorder (over 5k but needed for another business) and take 360 degree video of most good coins under good light source - more to document assets than anything - good to leave audio notes too for heirs, etc.., but can be easily used for comparison post submission if need be.

My advice: take a few snapshots/scans with your camera/scanner and a quick video in good spectrum lighting with the family cam-corder or whatever they're called these days and send'em on...

I'd say the day has come that people have enough technology to document the items that they're sending in to make the risk of doing anything to a given coin too great to consider, regardless of what may or may not have happened in the past.

If it's that much of an issue, they have your contact info and can easily reach out and offer any conservation services that they may feel are in order...