• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Are Some Modern Coins Not Weighted on Grade

5 posts in this topic

In several instances a collector is not given recognition for having coins graded 2 to 4 points higher. Example: A 1981-S SBA in PF69UC receives the same points as this coin in PF67UC? This is only one example. It appears that this is true in several minor coin modern sets. A collector with a set of PF69UC's set is far superior to the same set in PF67UC, yet their set score would be the same. Seems a bit unfair.

While not a modern I got a chuckle out of seeing a Gobrecht Dollar in PR45 in Linda's Daddy's type set get valued at THREE - 3......points! Yup, this coin is worth less than a proof Jeff nickel or SBA in proof. Better to belly up to the bar with $80 and buy a MS68 Ike which will get you about 500 points. Gobrechts are a dime a dozen. Now if the Gobrecht were a Proof 65 it might be worth 10 points.

roadrunner1

Thanks for looking, Roadrunner.

As for the 3 points, I don't care. I love my coins, and I'm happy to show off some of what I have without commensurate point reward. To me, coin collecting isn't about the points. It's about having the coins that will make me happy. No more, and definately no less!

Regards,

Linda's Daddy