• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just had a pleasant phone conversation with Hoot!

20 posts in this topic

I remember when he first told us of his desire to go to med school. There seemed to be a certain amount of trepidation in his words. After all, this would be quite a life-changing event for an old man nearing fifty. :roflmao: Now, however, he sounds much more relaxed in his adjustment to the daily routine of study, study, study. Mark said that, by far, he is the oldest of the students. I told him that he should only worry when his instructors call him, "Sir!"

I asked Mark if he had seen the post on the "Silver Dollar Bar", and he laughed and said that he did. I asked him because he is from Bozeman. Mark commented that he had heard about it when he lived there, but it didn't seem to be the kind of place that he would choose to frequent. :slapfight: Anyway, I made him promise that if he ever gets back to Bozeman that he would drop by there, take some better close-up photos of some of the coins and post them here for us.

Mark said that when he finishes school, he will probably do his 3-year residency in Washington state. Despite the fact that the Army is paying for his education, he said that they pretty much leave the residency selection up to the individual. What? You mean "the right way, the wrong way and the Army way" doesn't apply ? Geez, doctors sure have military life easy. On the down-side, Mark will most likely have an overseas tour in a battle zone, "Sorry, it's classified!" :gossip: , sometime near 2015. I told him that I would pray that there would be no more war by then.

I also remember the first and only time that I met Mark in person. Mom and I were in Las Vegas for the pool championships, and Mark had been in the desert just outside of Las Vegas conducting some kind of biological research. Yeah, right! I'll bet he was looking for some of the loot that is purported to be buried out there.

Despite the fact that he had to sell most of his collections in preparation for school, he said that he never wants to lose his ties to the numismatic community. I suggested that after he finishes his stint with the Army that he buy the Silver Dollar Bar. I'd gladly come to work for him, and we could make it a combination bar & coin shop. I didn't think of this at the time, but that would be the absolutely perfect venue...........get the customers drunk and sell them an MS70 Lincoln cent for big bucks. :whistle:

Mark asked me to say Hi! to everyone for him. I miss Mark around here, and I wish him all the best that life has to offer.

Chris

He has an article in the most recent "The Portico" of the FSNC but I believe it's about three years old. It's concerning 1959 nickels. It would be great to see him back but our loss is everyone else's gain. It is great to know we'll never really lose him entirely.

...And heck, he'll probably retire eventually.

Are you sure he wasn't collecting insects near Vegas? What happens near Vegas stays in an old insect collection. ;)

Mark did mention that he was still writing for FSNC.

Well, we had lunch together that day at the Riv, and there weren't any bugs in my food.

Chris

After just finishing my midterm in endocrinology, I decided to take a look at the forums, only to find this crazy side-show! :D

I'm definitely glad to hear that I still must ... okay, I'll say it ... DIE . It's a bit disturbing to have TomB call me one of the good guys, as it means he's had a serious alteration of his personality - probably the result of significant trauma :makepoint:.

My favorite character is this: :whee: and though I've been running 5 days a week, I still don't feel that way most of the time; indeed, it's usually like this: meh If Arch still looks in here, I've also been practicing/teaching martial arts again just for fun. :sumo:

Thanks to all of you guys for the well-wishes! I still love coins and this place and hope to be back here more often some sunny day. I finish didactics this May then take my first boards. I'll be in Colorado for my first year of clinical rotations, then all over the place for my 4th and final year (also clinical), but sampling the various military hospitals. Chris mentioned Washington and I do hope it's Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, although I would not mind a different site or two - just have to check them out!

All of you take care! :hi:

Hoot

Hey Hoot, I resigned my appointments from Yale University as well as Yale New Haven Hospital, but don't have anything lined up at the moment.

I was an Army Medic at Fort Lewis (4th Inf Division) and use to go over the Madigan with patients occasionally. That was almost (45) year ago. However. Madigan is still one of the best Army Hospitals in CONUS, next to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio. You will have to go there for Doc training, I suppose. Good luck Hoot, no matter where you end up.

I worked at Tacoma General Hospital for a year and a half as a trauma cat scan tech. We have some active duty per diem techs from Madagan. They were all a very sharp bunch!

Hope you're doing well, Hootster!