• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How To Post Pictures - A Step-By-Step Pictorial Guide

24 posts in this topic

There seems to be a never-ending stream of people asking how to post pictures, or having trouble with the process - so I am going to endeavour to show you a couple methods for posting pictures - directly uploading, and linking from Photobucket. These are two of the most popular, and easiest, methods of adding pictures to your post.

Method 1 - Directly Uploading

1. Make sure you are in the Full Reply Screen (if posting to an existing thread). Do this by clicking the button at the bottom of the Quick Reply box, highlighted below. If you are starting a new thread, you are in the Full Reply Screen by default.

FullReplyScreen.jpg

2. Next, click on the File Manager link, highlighted below the Reply Box.

FileManager.jpg

3. A pop-up window will appear. Click on the "Choose" button, (labelled 1 in the picture below).

4. Navigate to the file you wish to upload. It is very important to note that for this method, files must be smaller than 200kb. Select the file you wish to open (number 2 in the picture below) and click on the "Open" button (3 below). Note: you may only select one picture at a time. I am assuming for the purposes of this tutorial that a.) you can manipulate a file to be less than 200kb, and b.) that you can navigate to a file in a Windows Explorer file structure.

ChooseFile.jpg

5. After clicking "Open", you will return to the File Manager box. If you wish to add a caption, do so in the text box now, as shown below. Then click the "Add File" button.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for as many pictures you wish to upload, with a maximum of 5 pictures in a single post. When you are done, click the "Done Adding Files" button at the bottom of the File Manager box. Your total number of files attached will now show next to the link below the text box.

FileManagerUpload.jpg

7. When you are done creating your post, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page, and your thread is now created, with pictures! Attached pictures will show at the bottom of your post, with any description you might have entered below the picture.

Attachments.jpg

This method has its advantages and disadvantages. Advantages - easy, the pictures can be captioned, the pictures are directly uploaded to NGC's servers so they will be permanently attached to your post - you don't need to worry about moving or deleting them from your computer or website and having the picture disappear in the post. Disadvantages - you are limited to 200kb file size, which may reduce the size and/or quality of your pictures significantly, and the pictures are all loaded at the end of the post.

Method 2 - Linking from Photobucket

1. As in Method 1, Step 1, make sure you are in the Full Reply Screen.

2. In another browser window, open Photobucket ( Photobucket.com ). You will need to register to upload pictures to this site, but registration is quick, free, and useful.

3. Photobucket will look like the picture below. Click the very large button which says "Upload Images and Videos."

Photobucket.jpg

4. A File window will pop-up. Select as many pictures as you want to upload, and then click "Open", just as before. There is no file size limit for Photobucket, but be aware that extremely large files will both take longer to open in a thread, and will be harder to see. A very large file will cause the window to stretch, and viewers will not be able to see the whole picture at once.

5. Photobucket will upload your photos (which may take a while, depending on the file sizes and your internet speed), after which they will appear in your window. Mousing over the uploaded photo produces a handy options screen. For our purposes, you will need to click in the box labelled "IMG Code." (highlighted in the picture below.) Copy this link (either right click your mouse and select "Copy", or press CTRL+ Insert).

Pictureupload.jpg

UploadedPicture.jpg

6. Return to the browser window in which you have the NGC Chat boards, and your Reply Box. Paste the IMG Code link into your reply (either right click and select "Paste", or press SHIFT+ Insert). When you are done creating your post, click the submit button.

This method has several advantages and disadvantages. Advantages - Unlimited file size can mean higher resolution images, pictures can be placed anywhere in your thread (as in this thread), linking is easy. Disadvantages - pictures are hosted on another site and rely on links. If you move or delete the picture from your photobucket account, the pictures will disappear from the thread.

There you have it - two methods of easily uploading pictures. We need pictures to be able to properly evaluate your coins, or to appreciate the beauty they hold. I hope this tutorial helps!

Thanks for the tutorial, Jason. I'm a real Neanderthal man when it comes to computers. ( probably a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being a computer guru ) Odd thing to me is that my rekindled interest in coin collecting has sparked my desire to improve my computer skills. Results pending.

David

Thanks for the tutorial, Jason. I'm a real Neanderthal man when it comes to computers. ( probably a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being a computer guru ) Odd thing to me is that my rekindled interest in coin collecting has sparked my desire to improve my computer skills. Results pending.

David

What's a computer?

Chris

Really nice work. There is a cool feature on Photobucket I would like to bring up.

Just below the blue upload button is a more options button. If you go to it first, you can select the size you wish to upload the image as.

You can have a 3200X image on your hard drive but upload it to the proper size you wish to post. No need to edit the image first, except cropping. That keeps the original on your drive for future use. That's handy if you need to zoom in on something in the future.

I'm a big fan of saving the original (just like it came off the camera) and never messing with it. I'll make a copy and save the changes to the new copy.

It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

18835C-1-1.jpg

Well it's not much but I did manage to get the picture to show up on the post. :grin:

Short story on this Eliasberg pedigreed Liberty nickel is that I won it about a year ago on Heritage. I didn't know what the haze was on the coin but CAC did. Came back with a sticker that said PVC. ( At the time I bought the coin, I didn't know there were problem coins in problem free holders ) Sent it to NCS and hoped for the best. It came back MS 65 from NGC. I don't have any images of the coin in it's new holder. That's another project.

One last thing. Don't judge me too harshly on this coin purchase fiasco. I've done better since then. However, I do like this coin and I'm glad I sent it to NCS.

A well done post, as always, Jason. I wish that it had been here when I first started posting. It would have saved me a lot of hassle!

A footnote: if you choose to attach your photos using the direct upload option, note that they will not show up if you preview your post. You can do a trial post in the test forum, if you would like to see how they will look before you submit your post. (In fact, I see that you actually did that)

I've always just clicked open the third box to the left (above the reply box) and let this site assist in loading the photo. Type in the photo address and done. Quick and easy.

I click "File Manager"

Then "Browse"

When the dialog box opens to my photos, I scroll to the one I want and highlight it and click "Okay"

Then I click "Add File"

Then click "Done Adding Files" and the screen returns to my post.

I have only one question...................

Is there a way of getting around the limit of 5 images? It seems like I've seen other posts with more than 5 images at one time. Maybe I'm wrong? (shrug)

Chris

PS. This is a test! :whee:

92423.jpg.a15bd50aa21d5917c6493081ffb40e51.jpg

Photobucket is pretty useful. Once you upload the pics there is a button you push that automatically copies the correct link...you don't have to cntl-C or anything. Then I just use the picture icon above that creates the "http:" code and paste the link there.

This was very quick when I had trouble with my ISP storage the other day and my photos on BST weren't coming up. Photobucket made it a quick transition.

jom

You can also swipe other people's photos for reposting on the board.

Right click on the posted photo you want.

Select and copy the address.

Paste this into the message reply area.

Add in front of the file name and after the file name.

Click "Preview Reply" button to make sure you have everything correct.

ChooseFile.jpg

If it is not to much trouble, may I just mail to you any pictures that I might think are important enough to post to the Forum?

The problem is I failed the "assuming..... a) and b)..." part of the tutorial.

I do appreciate that you would take the time to help others, even if I can't do it.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Useful, thanks for the instructions. Maybe I can do this yet. The timing is great, since Photobucket has decided to remove on their free posting and retrieval of picture albums privileges and access.

Thank you for the step-by-step. I use free OCR when scanning my coins because I haven't set my scanner to copy them directly into my email.

I had quite a problem enlarging the coin but I got it done.

Use can use twincollage and combine several pics into one the upload one pic containing a dozen coins if you like

David

thank you for posting these simple to understand instructions. I had mentioned in several posts in different forums that I didn't know how to u/l photos direct and although a couple people told me that they could, they never explaind to go to full screen to find the photo tool.

If NGC would have put that simple message at the bottom of the quick editor (we all want to do it *quick*, don't we?), we'd all know this every time we reply or post. Anyway, many thanks for being a good citizen and sharing that important piece of knowledge, now I can share photos of coins dear to my heart too ;)