• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

They are putting the hammer down again across the street

136 posts in this topic

Rule 1) This is not a public forum. This is a PCGS forum paid for by PCGS and provided for PCGS customers to exchange information regarding collecting US coins. We make the rules. If you don't like it go somewhere else.

Rule 2) Anyone posting crude or vulgar pictures or language will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 3) Anyone attacking another poster or making disparaging personal remarks will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 4) Anyone making slanderous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 5) If you have nothing to contribute to an OP then do not post. Snide remarks and other negative comments will result in your losing your ability to post. No more warnings.

Rule 6) This forum is about US Coins. If your post is not directly related to US Coins then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed.

Rule 7) This is a PCGS forum. Posts relating to other grading companies or service are not allowed. Those posts will be removed and your posting privileges may be removed as well.

Rule 8) This forum is provided for the education and sharing of information. Not as a personal soapbox. If you want to learn and share information about US Coins you are welcome.

Rule 9) If you don't like any of the rules outlined above see Rule 1.

This list reminds me of the scene from the film Cool Hand Luke , "If you talk back to a guard, in the box, If you .... in the box, ... in the box,... in the box."

I guess the time has come to avoid that site again. (shrug) I guess the old quote from Harry Truman still applies, "If you can't stand the heat go out of the kitchen" It's obvious that PCGS can't stand any warmth, let alone heat.

This simply is not the place for the promotion of other grading services (nor for their bashing either).

Don must not realize that they'll lose 80% of the coin related posts if the bashing of non-PCGS TPGs isn't allowed.

This simply is not the place for the promotion of other grading services (nor for their bashing either).

Don must not realize that they'll lose 80% of the coin related posts if the bashing of non-PCGS TPGs isn't allowed.

When Don was coin dealer, he was good guy. Now he's the Sports Moderator on steroids. Many business people would like to know when they screw up. That especially applies when you scare away big customers. The people who spend big money on coins are the folks who have made PCGS what it is. If you are going to spend time aliening them, you might as well concentrate on the sports card business and comic book business (not to demean those two hobbies) because the coin business will be gone.

PCGS and NGC have benefited when experienced collectors have warned novices and beginners about fly by night grading services that out aid scammers. Third party grading came to be to combat scammers, and if you allow the scammers back into play because you won’t acknowledge that they exist, the whole cycle will start up again.

It seems like Willis wants to charge people to use his board. Fine. Go ahead and do it, but I predict that it will be shut down for lack of interest within a year. Who wants to pay money to post on a highly censored board that expects everyone to be PCGS cattle or PCGS cheerleaders? Sure PCGS is one of the leading services, but it’s far from perfect. But to read their rules, they are telling you that they are perfect.

The post applauding the new rules sickens me. I hate Uncle Toms.
That seems like an extremely harsh and unfair insult to those posters. How do you know what they really think and what their motives were for posting what they did?

That seems like an extremely harsh and unfair insult to those posters. How do you know what they really think and what their motives were for posting what they did?

The message is you can't criticize the PCGS product or their policies in any way. If you do, you are with no notice.

Come on Mark. You have been in the business long enough to know what PCGS weenies are. They will accept whatever in on the holder, especially if it says PCGS on the top. If PCGS were to become the only leading service collectors would be the ones who would pay the price.

Every time pcgs comes down on the posters there are always a number of posters who feel obligated to say “… we are guests here…”, “…this pcgs’s forum…”, “I applaud pcgs,” whatever. It’s weak. It’s an uncle Tom attitude and it makes my stomach turn.

Every time pcgs comes down on the posters there are always a number of posters who feel obligated to say “… we are guests here…”, “…this pcgs’s forum…”, “I applaud pcgs,” whatever. It’s weak. It’s an uncle Tom attitude and it makes my stomach turn.

At least someone had the balls to finally say it.

Typically some posters strongly disapprove of such policy statements, while others, applaud it. And it seems perfectly reasonable to expect that among a large group of posters, there would be differing opinions, even honest ones. I seriously doubt that you personally know most of them. So for you to play mind reader, assume you know how they really feel/think and insult them like that, seems as bad as what you accuse them of.

I picked apples one fall in a orchard to make some extra money...we were paid by the peck (mostly girls) or by the bushel (mostly jocks, but we had guys that pecked too) and then we'd place the full numbered bushels on the collection wagon as it drove up and down the orchard. The harvester did not dump the whole bushel for just one bad apple in the bunch. It was tossed at the base of the apple tree to act as fertilizer for next years crop.

If you have a few bad apples, discard them...do not throw out the good ones along with the bad.

Typically some posters strongly disapprove of such policy statements, while others, applaud it. And it seems perfectly reasonable to expect that among a large group of posters, there would be differing opinions, even honest ones. I seriously doubt that you personally know most of them. So for you to play mind reader, assume you know how they really feel/think and insult them like that, seems as bad as what you accuse them of.

[font:Comic Sans MS] Que Sera Sera! [/font]

I have to admit, even tho' I hardly know any members over there, my opinions would be based on posts. I don't have to know someone personally to be able to judge someones attitude by thier posts. Most times that I have spent ATS, I've seen nothing but sarcasm, ridicule, rudeness, and dis-respect to those that are not as "intellectual" as someone else. That's just one side that I see here also. I don't believe that someone should start a website designed to attract coin collectors, then after it has gained the popularity that it has, start discriminating against those it attracted in the first place. The PCGS forum, as far as I'm concerned, specifically integrates itself with those that spend the big money for PCGS graded coins. All others are considered ignorant or segregated from thier elite class of people. JMO

Those praising the move on PCGS's part are possibly seeking a Coin Forum that... well. . . talks about coins and thus are pleased that everything else will be discarded. I can't speak for them, but that is my interpretation for most of them based on past experience.

I really have no opinion yet on making it a paid membership forum. There are pros and cons to each side of that argument and I can't make up my mind yet. I'd hate to see some regulars that would no longer post (everyone and anyone can lurk for free)- that's bad.

I do wish PCGS would consider re-opening the Open Forum and under the same moderation seen here on NGC, keep it tightly regulated.

I do wish PCGS would consider re-opening the Open Forum and under the same moderation seen here on NGC, keep it tightly regulated.

Yeah,the open forum was very entertaining!

Actually, requiring a paid membership is not that bad of an idea. If curtailing riffraff is the goal, they probably should proceed.

I would willingly pay a reasonable fee for membership here on the NGC boards.

I really have no opinion yet on making it a paid membership forum. There are pros and cons to each side of that argument and I can't make up my mind yet. I'd hate to see some regulars that would no longer post (everyone and anyone can lurk for free)- that's bad.

Most paid membership forums that I have seen do not allow you to lurk, you have to log in to read the posts. If you could read and get the info for free, who would feel the need to pay to be able to post?

I do not feel that it would be in NGCs or PCGSs best intrest to charge for the forums. Most people like to dip there toes into the water before they jump into the lake.

I understand the rules about off topic posts, but I also think that if you are not going to allow off topic conversation in a forum then you should provide a place for off topic conversation.

I don’t know what you’re arguing about. Read rule #9 again. PCGS went out of its way to disenfranchise the posters on that board. Then, some board members applauded PCGS’s actions of not only showing no interest to listen to the posters but publicly stating it on the forum in which they, the posters, post.

I'm not sure an "OT" spot would be beneficial. That, in my opinion, would only lead to alot of discussions that would not go over well such as politics, religion, etc...I don't think there should be charges as this is a great place for knowledge and help but paying for it may deter YN's and new collectors to join. It's much easier to find other forums that don't charge. I think it's fine that if you don't register, that you can read topics, but I think that in order to register, you would still have to produce a legitimate email address, need a physical address, and your full name for NGC's records. This might help eliminate problem posters from re-registering again.

I don’t know what you’re arguing about. Read rule #9 again. PCGS went out of its way to disenfranchise the posters on that board. Then, some board members applauded PCGS’s actions of not only showing no interest to listen to the posters but publicly stating it on the forum in which they, the posters, post.

A number of posters apparently liked and/or applauded the fact that PCGS was going to be tougher about a number of different things, including (quoted from the post by Don Willis):

" crude or vulgar pictures or language "

" attacking another poster or making disparaging personal remarks"

" making slanderous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity "

" Snide remarks and other negative comments "

"Posts relating to other grading companies or service "

And you called them "uncle Tom's", which was way out of line and highly inappropriate, especially considering that you don't know that they didn't mean/believe what they wrote. Maybe you should look up the expression.

A number of posters apparently liked and/or applauded the fact that PCGS was going to be tougher about a number of different things, including (quoted from the post by Don Willis):

" crude or vulgar pictures or language "

" attacking another poster or making disparaging personal remarks"

" making slanderous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity "

" Snide remarks and other negative comments "

"Posts relating to other grading companies or service "

And you called them "uncle Tom's", which was way out of line and highly inappropriate, especially considering that you don't know that they didn't mean/believe what they wrote. Maybe you should look up the expression.

Mark, I agree that those that are all for the reasons that you mentioned is great. If this happens, and all those violating the rules are kicked out, then pcgs will wind up having a sleepy hollow also. This may be a good thing! lol

I'm not sure an "OT" spot would be beneficial. That, in my opinion, would only lead to alot of discussions that would not go over well such as politics, religion, etc...

I have been members of many message boards that have many different layouts. I can assure you that OT forums on message boards are very benificial. The largest message board that I am a member of (3500+ members) had an off topic forum called "Rants and Raves" (Not craigslist, this predated that by quite a bit). It became a hotbed of gross humor, put downs, and other forms of down right uglyness. You had to have inch thick skin if you decided to post there because they would demean, and belittle you right off the bat. They decided to cut that forum because it was giving the entire message board a bad rep. Those posts started to crop up on the On topic forums. It got real bad and the site owner decided to start a new Off topic forum but warned the members against bad mouthing others and such. It is a much cleaner site now and them removing the off topic forum proved to be a very bad idea.

We have the "Water Cooler" here that seems to keep the on topic forums clear of too much clutter.

The PCGS board has no Off topic forum and it shows.

but I think that in order to register, you would still have to produce a legitimate email address, need a physical address, and your full name for NGC's records. This might help eliminate problem posters from re-registering again.

This wouldn't stop anyone from creating an alt or shill account.

This another example of what type of attitude resides ATS. The quote below was in regards to someone commenting on charging to post to the BST and Don's rules. It also contains my response to the post.

<< I am not going to reiterate my feelings on the BS&T-people sell more NGC and garbage there for PCGS reatail than they have ever before. >>

I think this is an example of comments for what some of these violations are based on. ( corrected the spelling on the word people) I do that too! lol

All I can say is that I highly applaud the "new" (actually, none of them are new-- merely their supposed enforcement) rules. They make sense. It is mere politeness not to trash a person or a company in his own home. I appreciate the fact that there will be less name calling and OT trash talking.

I am hardly an Uncle Tom, however. I don't think that I have ever hesitated to make my opinions known either there or here. I think that most--if not all here--know those opinions. I will say, though, for all the vicious name-calling over there I have never been called either of the names that I have been over the last 2 days here. :censored:

I will say, though, for all the vicious name-calling over there I have never been called either of the names that I have been over the last 2 days here. :censored:

I must have missed that, care to clarify? Did you contact Arch or Dena or any of the other staff?

I will say, though, for all the vicious name-calling over there I have never been called either of the names that I have been over the last 2 days here. :censored:

I must have missed that, care to clarify? Did you contact Arch or Dena or any of the other staff?

I must have missed that, too!

Chris

Called an "Uncle Tom" in this thread...called a less than classy name for a gay man in another.

It's not the first time I've ever been called by a perjoritive--it won't be the last. Neither really bothers me that much. It is more the hypocrisy of posters on this site complaining about it on the PCGS site.