• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No guts no GLORY....post your crackouts!

18 posts in this topic

I must admit a bit of alcohol prior to knocking these open builds confidence.

Opening the envelope when the TPG returns the coins is always exciting.

91599.jpg.e0450bf411b1e83efa481975de189963.jpg

91600.jpg.87217b7356d8d050fbaa4581d9e65666.jpg

91601.jpg.e47a999a245212e371313299b75d9ed5.jpg

I've only cracked one that was in an ANACS MS63DMPL holder. I submitted it to NGC as one of my freebies and it BB'ed for "Altered Surfaces" which, according to David Lange, can mean any number of reasons. So, I submitted it to PCGS as one of my freebies, and it came back MS64PL, though it should verily be DMPL. Perhaps, I'll submit it to NCS one of these days and try to cross it for the MS64DPL. It really is a beautiful coin!

Chris

I will share a few from the prior year.

I cracked out a 1927 Saint in an MS61 OGH, which has very few marks and great luster—the coin was returned as AU58.

On a slightly more positive note, I cracked a 1906-D $20 Lib in AU58 holder— the coin was returned as MS61. I was actually surprised the ’06-D didn’t make MS62.

Coin_226o4_composite.jpg

Coin_226s4o_sm.jpgCoin_226s4r_sm.jpg

Coin_226s5o_b_sm.jpgCoin_226s5r_a_sm.jpg

Coin_139o3_cropped_sm.jpgCoin_139r3_cropped_sm.jpg

Coin_139s2o_a_cropped_sm.jpgCoin_139s2r_a_cropped_sm.jpg

Coin_139s3o_b_cropped_sm.jpgCoin_139s3r_b_cropped_sm.jpg

Be very careful. You may suffer some heartbreak: :(

1926lincolnslabobv.jpg

1926linconlbb121508.jpg

1833halfcentslabobv.jpg

1833PCGSBB-1.jpg

I've had my share of winners also. You have to know the series to have any hope of having any success. :)

Be very careful. You may suffer some heartbreak: :(

1926lincolnslabobv.jpg

1926linconlbb121508.jpg

1833halfcentslabobv.jpg

1833PCGSBB-1.jpg

I've had my share of winners also. You have to know the series to have any hope of having any success. :)

Lee, that it totally bogus on PCGS part. They are beautiful coins :)

Stefanie

Lee, the services drive me crazy with their body bags on early copper. And yet a silver coin can be dipped and cleaned to death and still get a grade. I don't see anything wrong with that 1833 half cent.

PCGS has a lot of crust to put a coin like that in a body bag, and then grade a 1796 half dollar FINE-15 that has obviously re-engraved star lines on the obverse. A coin like that 1796 easily is worth $50K if it has no problems, but like that it's worth a lot less to me.

That 1932 $10 gold piece is a nice looking coin, drwstr123, but it's a hard coin to describe with just a numerical grade. The lamination at the bridge of Ms. Liberty’s nose is something that many collectors might want to avoid. I think that ANACS made the right call in grading it MS-61 because the coin is actually 1 or 2 points better than that. They net graded it, which is okay within the confines of the grading system, but far from perfect in providing a full description of the piece.

That 1932 $10 gold piece is a nice looking coin, drwstr123, but it's a hard coin to describe with just a numerical grade. The lamination at the bridge of Ms. Liberty’s nose is something that many collectors might want to avoid. I think that ANACS made the right call in grading it MS-61 because the coin is actually 1 or 2 points better than that. They net graded it, which is okay within the confines of the grading system, but far from perfect in providing a full description of the piece.

You're right-on, Bill. I bought it for a crack out on the Bay at spot. Mike