• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a picture of your best and or favorite coin Purchase for 2009

35 posts in this topic

This was a difficult choice for me but I think my best purchase was a

1808/7 Bust Half that was purchased from one of the no floor session Sunday Heritage Auctions. My gut told me that it was a nice original Bust even though the Heritage pictures did not do it full justice. I paid decent money for the coin and held onto it for many months before submitting the coin to CAC at Coin Fest where it was given a green bean.

My favorite coin would be the 1811 MS 63 Bust Half . Although not CAC certified I love the look and color of the coin. I picked this up from Bowers in January of 2009 when many people were thinking the US would suffer another depression because of the near collapse of the banking system. This is an R4 Overton , I had it reslabbed at NGC so that the Overton which was not listed on the old slab was shown.

Honorable mention goes to a 1826 ANACS AU 58 Bust that I picked up for $ 460 from Heritage on a Sunday no floor session. Just like the 1808/7 I had a gut feeling about this coin . I submitted it to PCGS for a cross and it was later CAC certified with a green bean at Coin Fest .

91558.jpg.b7ad975258900448e154ef4e6714e39e.jpg

91559.jpg.7f670d025cecc741f8ce27d88ea7d095.jpg

91560.jpg.834f7ccb20fbc1e7cb68b4d6e789fd8b.jpg

Wow nice coins everyone.

I was thinking of making similar thread. I really like your 1811 half, Mark T

By best would be raw Japanese silver yen (meiji7), but it was recently bagged by PCGS as cleaned.

My best US coin would be 1857-O half dime. The coin has strong PL surface in person.

1857-O66N.jpg

I shoulda started collecting those proof buffalos long ago. I am really happy with the 2009-W I got. Very beautiful

But one of us better throw this one out there. Best not underestimate it's potential :) stunning ! if you don't have one, you're missing out

2009_obv_lg.jpg

My best purchase of the year was a 1909 VDB PR64BN, which are as scarce as hen's teeth..... But this 1910 PR66RB has the best eye appeal of the anything purchased during the past year.

1910PR66RBobv020HR.jpg

1910PR66RBrev006HR.jpg

I really didn't buy much this past year to mention, but I did get this that was a little challenge for me money wise. One more left to complete my 65-date Jeff proofs.

1994-Jeff-NGC-SP69-slab.jpg

It barely makes Good and has graffiti dating from the year 1845. It cost me solid XF money (Plus my max bid was almost twice what I got it for). But it was the last (achievable by me) die marriage for my 1827 set. It's estimated that only about 35 or so examples exist in any grade--most of which are damaged. I'd been looking for an affordable O-144 for the last 19 years.

144o.jpg

144r.jpg

It barely makes Good and has graffiti dating from the year 1845. It cost me solid XF money (Plus my max bid was almost twice what I got it for). But it was the last (achievable by me) die marriage for my 1827 set. It's estimated that only about 35 or so examples exist in any grade--most of which are damaged. I'd been looking for an affordable O-144 for the last 19 years.

Congratulations on your pickup. Persistence and patience pays off. That's something I need to learn.

I have always wanted a Lafayette Dollar but could never find an example that had the eye appeal I was looking for. I finally found one searching through CRO's inventory one day. In addition the coin is a DuVall 3-D variety which is one of the scarce varieties. Currently my most expensive coin and the cornerstone of my collection.

LafayetteDollar1900PCGSMS65Duvall3-.jpg

Well mine is the 1966 Roosevelt Dime NGC MS68 Ultra Cameo that I purchased from CoinDude!!

hm I guess I forgot to take a picture of the slab before it went to the SDB.

1966NGC.jpg

and a close 2nd is the 1967 Roosevelt Dime NGC MS68 Ultra Cameo!!

1967NGC10CA.jpg

1967NGC10CB.jpg

This is a very interesting question that I like quite a bit. This year was quite productive for me with respect to my type set and I was even able to snag a coin that I had long sought, but had never been able to find. Therefore, I guess I have a tie between the proof 1873 No Arrows Seated half and 1923-S Standing Liberty quarter. The half is in a PCGS PR65 holder and has great, original color of primarily violet and deep blue while the quarter is an original skin AU58 with terrific overall strike characteristics and a very strong date. Those two coins make me quite happy.

Looking back, I find that several of my favorite coins in my collection were purchased this year. The clincher, as it were, has to be my most recent purchase, however - the capstone of my Franklin collection. Yes, I'm going to post it again - my triumphal purchase of a 1952S NGC MS-65FBL was the highlight of my year (numismatic and otherwise).

2444906-003O.jpg

2444906-003R.jpg

This is a very interesting question that I like quite a bit. This year was quite productive for me with respect to my type set and I was even able to snag a coin that I had long sought, but had never been able to find. Therefore, I guess I have a tie between the proof 1873 No Arrows Seated half and 1923-S Standing Liberty quarter. The half is in a PCGS PR65 holder and has great, original color of primarily violet and deep blue while the quarter is an original skin AU58 with terrific overall strike characteristics and a very strong date. Those two coins make me quite happy.

Were they the two coins you purchased at Coin Fest ?

Both are fantastic coins , my favorite of the two would be the proof 1873 , it has outstanding eye appeal .

I only have two to chose from, so I'll post both (don't make me choose!):

1866S1-0000ObvRev.jpg

1848-VRepubblicaVeneta950x500.jpg

It's a no-brainer for me. Buy American! There's not much made any more that is.

Chris

I guess one of my favorites was a nice 1859 IHC for my type set. I had been looking for a while and finally found this one in an old Anacs MS-61holder.

1859obv.jpg1859rev.jpg

MM

Were they the two coins you purchased at Coin Fest ?

Both are fantastic coins , my favorite of the two would be the proof 1873 , it has outstanding eye appeal .

Yes, Mark, oddly enough they were both purchased at Coinfest and you were able to see each in-hand. As you know, they are very different in terms of "feel", but whereas the Seated half was a great purchase for my type set and is by far the more expensive coin, the SLQ had been a coin I had searched for over quite a while and was beginning to think did not exist with the qualities that I value.