• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best way to store Silver and Gold?

7 posts in this topic

I have recently taken up interest in purchasing Silver, Gold and Platinum. I'm mainly concerned about how I can keep the "shine" on the metal. For instance, The silver I have is in BU condition. It really has a nice shine to it. I have noticed that some silver has a dull look to it. I'm wondering what conditions are best for keeping the metal shiny. Also, is a safe recommended for storing precious metal?

Mike

That would explain the discoloration on one of the bars that the seal was broke. BTW, I have noticed that sealed bars in BU condition do sell for somewhat of a premium on ebay. That's why I asked.

Thanks for the info,

Mike

There are numerous things you could do, if the coins have numismatic value, that is they are regular business strikes of US coins intended for circulation, then you want to do everything you can to protect them. Gold is the least reactive metal and as long as you store in a clean dry place it should be fine and maintain its original luster and not spot, silver is more reactive and naturally tones. what I would suggest is to store them in a safety deposit box and put small packets of desiccant which helps too absorb moisture. If the coins are just bullion coins then they are only worth what the gold or silver value is so you don't have to worry about their surfaces reacting

hope that helps