• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 cleaned but very nice peace dollars... to slab or not to slab, that is the...

10 posts in this topic

hello all, for some reason i have a much harder time grading peace dollars than morgans. especially when i get some coins that have tons of luster etc. but have been lightly cleaned or polished. i have included 2 examples, a 1935 and a 1921. looking at auction results it seems that slabbed coins that are nice but have the 'cleaned' detail generate more money than the same kind of coins that are raw. so in general would it be right to say that a cleaned coin in the ms63 plus range should be slabbed and does a cleaned coin get one to two graded removed?how would ngc probably grade these coins, or just a details slab?1921 ngc1921front.JPGngc1921back.JPG 1935

ngc1935front.JPGngc1935back.JPG thanks for lookingthe count

The 1921 they would call EF details, harshly cleaned. Its not worth certifying. The 1935 is a key date if I remember correctly, and goes for a decent amount. They would call this Unc Details, polished. I don't remember exactly how much these go for, but this one might be worth getting put in a holder.

thanks for the quick response, but isnt a 1921 peace much more of a key date than the 1935?

You're right, I was thinking of 34-S. Peace dollars aren't my series. Based on this, I would not send either of them in - the 1921 is worth maybe $100, the 1935 maybe $50.

Does NGC just authenticate?? Either way, these coins look very polished or harshly cleaned to me. I'm sure they would bodybag for sure. If you're looking to re-sell, best just to mention the cleaning for those that are not very knowledgeable and get what ya can for them.

physics-fan,

very good call, those prices are almost exactly what i paid for them might just hold on to them for a few years and sell them then (when people will be clamoring for ANYTHING made out of gold or silver.

The 1921 might be worth around $75 raw only because it is a key date , the 1935 is only worth the scrap price of silver. There is no reason to have the 1921 graded as it will not add any value to the coin . Both coins have been heavily polished.

$ 50 is not a lot of money but is more then you should have paid for the 1935.

$ 50 can get you a 1935 in MS 61 already certified.

Did you buy these coins from a person on Ebay called DOug07iu??

just checked again, i actually only paid 30 for the 1935. no big deal at all. no, not from that seller.

but there is a seller called rocky mountain mint that i had a problem with, sent me not the pictured coin but a way inferior on - claimed it was a mistake. all of his coins look too shiny (polished, tumbled, anybody know?)

I looked at the coins sold by Seller "rockymountainmint"

They are self slabbed, cleaned and overgraded

The best advise I can give you is :

1) Learn what a cleaned coin looks like so you dont fall prey to the EBAy scammers

2) Do not buy raw coins on EBAY unless you know and trust the seller - even then it can be a shoot

3) Never purchase basement slabbed coins

For those who are curious:

Seller ID :

rockymountainmint

If you need a good laugh read this sellers store description .

...Welcome to Rocky Mountain Mint, the Finest eBay Coin Store....

SURE!

just curious if those coins are whizzed or tumbled? supposedly there are all types of ceramic 'grit' for use in tumblers than can give metal any kind of satin or shiny sheen...?