• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's Friday- Post a coin with a musical instrument going through an eye

14 posts in this topic

Thanks to the boys at CRO. This is a NEWP. Text below by CRO. This coins slays me. Posted this ATS as well. MJ

'Trumpet in Eye Socket' Conder Token Halfpenny. MS66 RB [NGC]

Middlesex-Shackelton’s, D&H-478A.

An incredibly high grade token, with about 25% faded mint red and nearly perfect prooflike surfaces.

The obverse depicts the bust of a man with the legend, “WE NE'ER SHALL LOOK UPON HIS LIKE AGAIN.”

The reverse depicts two masks with a sword stuck in the eye socket of one, and a trumpet stuck in the eye socket of the other.

The symbolism is obvious (except maybe to us).

1260899384-1.jpg

also neat and satiny semi-prooflike surfaces

looks like a special presentation strike and wonderfully preserved and the 66 gem+ grade suits this coin to a tee

The Bust on the obverse is that of David Garrick (1717 - 1779). Garrick was a famous Shakespearean actor of the time. He was also the owner of the Drury Lane Theatre Royal and managed the productions. After his death he was given a lavish funeral and was buried in Westminster Abbey. The person who distributed the tokens (Sims) was the owner of the Garrick Public House on Russell Court and his daughter was also an actress.

I do believe the masks on the back are meant to represent comedy/tragedy, the dagger through the eye for some reason always seems to me to represent Shakespeare (specifically Macbeth, or possibly Titus Andronicus which I think was one of his bloodiest tragedies.) The trumpet through the eye of Comedy is a little less clear and may simply be intended to balance the dagger.

The quote on the obverse is an adaptation of a line from Hamlet Scene II, Hamlet to Horatio in reference to Hamlet's late father the King

"He was a man, take him for all in all,

I shall not look upon his like again."

The line has been used to refer to deceased thespians ever since.