• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow.Life and death submission (semi-long)

27 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Been away for a couple weeks. I spent three days in the hospital after taking a very nasty header out fron of the Post office. I've been pretty severely disabled for over 20 years after an MC accident in the mid 80's.I' did extensive damage to my extremities,especially my right(dominant) arm and my left leg.The arm is 74%+ paralyzed including supporting muscles in my back and chest.My left lag was minutes from being amputated.but had held up pretty well,while looking pretty nasty(especially since I've decided not to deliberately hide it.Sorry for the offense.My left arm does not srtaighten and has a few pieces of sharp bone removed.

So,one of my long held nightmares is taking a bad fall with no way to use my arms to defend or cushion the impact.My nightmare took place Dec.1 as I was sending a package to NGC for grading. I had 11 coins in a three invoices in a single package.Probably did it wrong.

Anyway,I'm sure you are all familiar with the small concrete "stoppers" in parking spaces to keep you from driving up the sidewalk?

This was around 9:30 tp 10 p.m. and I pulled up to the closest spot by the front door,which happened to be a handi-capped parking spot(I am entitled).As I got out of the car,I noticed a car that seemed out of place and as I turned my head to look,I a was also in the middle of a step toward the P.O. at the same time. I tripped over the 4 inch concrete "stopper" and before I knew it I hit the cement sidewalk face first with no cushion.resulting in a broken sinus cavity.My paralyzed right arm hit full force as well and broke in two places which will require a brace and sling for at least 12 weeks. and lastly a couple of ribs,front and rear were cracked as well.

Anyone who has had broken ribs has been in thier own level of hell,especially if you have a smokers cough.I called my brother and he picked me up in 10 minutes(Whew,thanks Matt!!).I went home instead of the Emergency room at first.So. It took me 6 hours to actually get to the hospital(I haaate hospitals after spending the last 20+ years as a patient.But when my whole right side down to my fingers turned blue and swelled triple size I had to check my self in.Called my Bro' at 6 a.m. and he was here in 10 minutes agin.. Don't ask me why I felt the need to send the coins out that late.I made sure he put my package oin the OUT box before we left.My brother even mentioned how damn dark it was was even right in front of the Post office. It was brighter out in the middle of the lot.So,that my new story.The three day hospital story was another nightmare for another time.Just for anyone who cares.Just call me Purple Pete for the time being.

If you feel like the darkness in the parking lot contributed to your fall, I'd sue the Post Office.

That's really a terrible story to read. That's dedication, my friend!

Pete...........Thanks for opening up and sharing with all of us. When I was young I judged a man by his size and strength. When I became older and hopefully wiser my views on that subject changed dramatically. You my friend have more courage than I would ever hope for. May God speed your healing and may all your NGC submissions come back in a holder graded higher than you even hoped for.

Well Purple Pete…you sound like a tough egg anyways, so this time it’s going to be a bit better because you already know what to expect and there is some stability in your life and not up in a turmoil, you know, like almost pushing up daises 20 years ago.

I too had rib injuries, not only cracking a few, but breaking 4 completely in two on my left side…holy moley what a pain that was. It was 4 years ago when I fell off a ladder and landed on a pile of 2X4’s and that’s all she wrote. (aluminum step ladder buckled) I had to sleep in a recliner for over a month and one time I sneezed, the pain hit so hard, I almost passed out.

When laughing hurts, it’s bad.

Good luck and I was wondering just where in the heck you had gone to these past few weeks. We need to have a Hot Line.

Pete, As a acute orthopedics Physical Therapist for 20 years I can say, "you got the guts needed to rehab, and getting back to the business of easy living". If there are any questions, support, or resources, I would be honored to help.

Be Well,

OP

Sorry guys,I went longer than anticipated or required maybe,Rambling.Must be the strong pain meds.

Thanks for all the words folks. I've been stuck with Medicaids' HMO for years and if you aren't a a sqeaky wheel nothing will ever gets done.I'll tell you,Medical care under this system in NEW York was so much better than here in Floridia.,I have to fight for every lousy prescription and half the time I don't get what is needed and barely whar's adequate.They have made it so difficult to get some meds,that I've given up and one of them was for bone density and could have prevented some of these fractures.

Another procedure the dedcided against was surgery for my newly broken paralyzed right arm because it's not a full functional arm.Maybe I'll get back what little I had,but I was able to grasp a few bags of groceriers and use my hand to anchor something while I manipulated with my other hand. So,it's rationing whether we realize it or or not and it stinks.

On top of all this,I neglected to mention,that my teeth were very negatively affected.I was in the early process of getting some dental work going..I've lost most of the lower bottom right teeth(I have stumps) and a couple more got broken that night.My insurance has no dental.I have very nice bridges and crowns on top which need one tooth repaired.Until recently most can still be fixed,but with all this,I think I'll end up with dentures after puttiing over 10.000 dollars in dental work 7 years ago, Back then,.I had a special relationship with my dentist up north,but I had to move south and everything changed..What a waste.My Sister gave me $1000.I've stashed untouched for months for dental.I'm going to try to put $1000.00 on my CC and sell some coins.I don't want crappy lower dentures.Especially lower ones.that do not fit and aren't necessary until I'm older. Any suggestions?

There are many other times my Doctors wishes and requirements have been over ridden and Most docs are too busy to be in the practice of fighting for the patient for more than a few sentences on an order which rarely helps. I wish I knew some answers,but I'm about burned out on this I'd like someone else to take over but that's not gonna happen. Another 26 years of this will daunt anyone.Again,thanks for your support.Purple Pete

P.S.Wish me luck on my NGC gradesI chose the best I had..Might be some help there.Although I'm more sceptical on the Proof IHC than I was. It looks awesome,but the color might be off..

Can someone say what NGC means when they say a copper coin has been recolored or questionable color without toning? There must be more than one meaning to eash.Thanks agin.

Pete, an incredible story, Wow! I sincerely admire your remarkable courage, as well as your determination to enjoy life to the fullest.

Quick story. About 20 years ago when I was in college at Mizzou (Columbia, MO), we had a huge weekend snowstorm - well over a foot of snow. By Sunday evening, campus was practically deserted. I was late as usual getting a lab done and so was walking across campus. In the distance, I saw someone in a wheelchair struggling to get across a sidewalk when suddenly, the whole contraption just lurched sideways and he ended up in a snowbank, face down. Naturally, I dropped everything and ran over to help out my fellow student. It was obvious he would have been stuck there a long time, and no telling what would have happened. There was simply no way he could have gotten himself righted.

The incident scared the cr*p out of me and was literally a life-changing experience for me. It was a privilege to have been in the right place at the right time to help out. Since then, I have nothing but the utmost respect for folks with challenges who rise up to meet them. My Dad became disabled in his later years, yet never once did he complain. He wasn't a coin collector, but did continue to enjoy his favorite hobbies as well as his situation would allow.

So anyhow, stay positive, buddy! It's great that you had someone you could call on. Besides that, it is great that coin collecting can be enjoyed by most anyone in any situation, isn't it?

If you feel like the darkness in the parking lot contributed to your fall, I'd sue the Post Office.

That's really a terrible story to read. That's dedication, my friend!

While I feel for "Purple Pete", I do hope your statement was meant in jest. The "sue happy" mentality of people and attorneys is one of the reasons our insurance is so high today. He stated he looked back, tripped and fell.

Prudden, may all your submissions be 70's...Get well soon.

MM

Pete... Your story sounds as bad as my first wife's injury, and she was injured in Florida! Before she died (of cancer, not of the injury), she lamented the difference between being injured in Florida versus New York!

Can someone say what NGC means when they say a copper coin has been recolored or questionable color without toning? There must be more than one meaning to eash.Thanks agin.

There are products that you can dip and recolor copper coins. The coin might have been dipped and, when the owner didn't like the resulting color, tried to recolor the coin. I am having a senior moment and cannot remember the products!

Just take care of yourself. Feel better and hope for good results from NGC! :headbang:

Scott :hi:

There are products that you can dip and recolor copper coins. The coin might have been dipped and, when the owner didn't like the resulting color, tried to recolor the coin. I am having a senior moment and cannot remember the products!

Just take care of yourself. Feel better and hope for good results from NGC! :headbang:

I believe the product you are referring to is Deller's Darkener. I have not had any personal experience with using the product but I do know that it is supposed to darken copper. I am not sure what type of recoloring results it is known to produce, maybe someone with experience with the product can chime in.

PS: I hope that you heal quickly and keep your spirits up!

Best regards,

Brandon

Sorry to hear of your injuries, prudden. I wish you the best and hope you lose your Proof IHC coloring soon. Best wishes.

Jim

It hasn't actually come back from NGC yet )sometime next week).so I don't know any grades.It's just here thar it was mentioned possibly altered. Thankee.

I believe the product you are referring to is Deller's Darkener. I have not had any personal experience with using the product but I do know that it is supposed to darken copper. I am not sure what type of recoloring results it is known to produce, maybe someone with experience with the product can chime in.

PS: I hope that you heal quickly and keep your spirits up!

Best regards,

Brandon

Last year I sent in an 1899 IHC which came back "altered color "or "re-colored".It was a beautiful red color,no where near red.Hmmm. Just wondering.