• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rather Cool 1812 CBH (Rather large pic...)

8 posts in this topic

This is an O-109 "A" LDS. Milling is almost completely gone. At some point, a foreign object was probably dropped onto the reverse die creating a bunch of die lumps around the left wing. Sometime after that, the die had the mess lapped out of it and the lumps were removed for the most part. Also of note, as the die was used, clashmarks appeared on both the obverse and reverse. But by this late stage, they too have been removed though the aforementioned lapping. The reverse die by this stage has evidence of failure as well, as stripe shield lines 2 and 3 show chunks missing in between the field in the shield.

100_2103.jpg

100_2105.jpg

A screw was dropped onto the die resulting in a nice impression on this variety.

Some examples show double clashing, this one has triple clashing evident.

I like your coin Dave

1812O-109aobv.jpg

1812O-109arev.jpg

1812O-109arev3.jpg

1812O-109ascr.jpg

Nice coins, guys. Since we are showing (in reverse order) the die progresson for this die marriage here is one from before either the dropped screw or the clashing.

1812-109o.jpg

1812-109r.jpg

Here's mine. I wish the picture was better. Once I learn to take some decent pictures I will repost it. Thanks for posting yours.

It's a very interesting snapshot of a mishap at the mint, now preserved in silver.

1812_O-109_R-3_AU55.jpg