• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this work?

41 posts in this topic

1. Just for safety. The closer they are, the less resistance there will be and the more current you will draw from your supply. If you try and draw more current from the supply than it's rated for, you run the risk of overheating it and possibly burning down your house. smirk.gif

2. I don't think it's real critical as long as there is enough for conduction. 3. I can't think of any good reasons offhand, but then again, today was the first time I tried this.

a. I tried Sodium Carbonate (Super Baking Soda) instead of NaCl and it didn't work. What's so great about Salt as a conductor. Can you think of a better one?

b. Yup, the handle of my spoon is getting thinner and thinner near the business end. Perhaps something better than a spoon? What about a big fat screwdriver or a lightning rod? What kind of metal does it HAVE TO be?

Hmmm... Sodium Carbonate should have worked. I tried Sodium Bicarbonate and it took most of whateveritwas off of this NZ cent (definitely looks cleaned, though). The other thing I liked about it was that the solution remained clear. Any metal would work, but may have different results. I tried a piece of copper pipe. It made a mess out of the solution and turned bright coins dark. Stainless steel is probably the best option.

377048-electronzcent.jpg

Excellent before-after images, Spiny. Thanks. I guess the solution ingredients are up to experimentaion. I will try sodiu bicarb next. Hmmm, potassium nitrate. WHOA, didn't say that, don't want those guys on my trail!

Spiny, the buff nickle I dug this past Sunday was totally obliterated until the electrolysis. I only knew it was a nickle by it's size. It came out well, full date, full mint, full "Five Cents." I think I need to experiment in this electrolysis with many chemicals, many other variables.

TJ, isn't this considered coin doctoring?893scratchchin-thumb.gif Aren't you teaching, young, impressionable minds to alter coins?

I guess I wasn't clear, Truth, I use this method only for badly damaged coins. Would never use it for "readable" coins. I'm a metal detectionerist (?) by hobby, i.e., fugly coins from the ground. That is where I am speaking from. Sorry if any misunderstanding.

Am I a good person?

Yes, you are a good person, and FYI, the deal for not posting upstairs was for a month on Jan. 13, so you have until Feb. 13, although TT posted up there that he would be back on Jan 31. So I guess it's up to you. I believe Joanna and I will be out till the 13th.

Spiny, that 1997 Lincoln cent, did the electrolysis completely remove the copper layer?

Am I a good person?

Yes, you are a good person, and FYI, the deal for not posting upstairs was for a month on Jan. 13, so you have until Feb. 13, although TT posted up there that he would be back on Jan 31. So I guess it's up to you. I believe Joanna and I will be out till the 13th.

Spiny, that 1997 Lincoln cent, did the electrolysis completely remove the copper layer?

I just confirmed with Joanna the deal will be till the 13 of February. Although I will be on a trip that weekend I will be back and start posting on the 16th. It has been a nice opportunity to get some stuff done. It is funny how TT did worm out of the deal like that. Guess he didn't think you would do that. Oh well. At least some liberals on these boards have morals.

No, it just discolored it. You can see copper where I scratched the rim to check (about 8 o'clock). I think it was combo of the solution and the building up of heat in the solution that did it.

Is there anyone interested in trying this on some old Roman coins? I bought a bunch that were all covered in dirt, and I soaked them in olive oil and they got a little cleaner, but not much. If anyone would like to try this with some of these coins, I would be willing to give you a couple of them for yourself to keep. I just think it would be interesting to see how it would work on coins that old. PM me if interested.