• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this work?

41 posts in this topic

Hmmm? Under paragraph 4.4.2 of the Patriot Act, this experiment is considered a form of terrorism and subjects you to encarceration for an indeterrminate amount of time on Guantanamo Bay. You will also be considered an enemy combatant and all your rights as a US citizen will be taken away. I strongly urge you to refrain from this experiment and remove all references from your computer immediately, else the FBI might come knocking at your door. Stick with collecting coins and leave the coin doctoring to qualified coin terrorists. devil.gif

TRUTH

Hmmm? Under paragraph 4.4.2 of the Patriot Act, this experiment is considered a form of terrorism and subjects you to encarceration for an indeterrminate amount of time on Guantanamo Bay. You will also be considered an enemy combatant and all your rights as a US citizen will be taken away. I strongly urge you to refrain from this experiment and remove all references from your computer immediately, else the FBI might come knocking at your door. Stick with collecting coins and leave the coin doctoring to qualified coin terrorists. devil.gif

TRUTH

And what exactly does this have to do with coins? Not very constructive TT. 893naughty-thumb.gif

TRUTH

And what exactly does this have to do with coins? Not very constructive TT. 893naughty-thumb.gif

You need to remember that he was not the brightest bulb in the house. He says very strange things and extrememly stupid things at times. And we just need to learn to live with it.

TRUTH

What is your problem?

TRUTH

You need to remember that he was not the brightest bulb in the house. He says very strange things and extrememly stupid things at times. And we just need to learn to live with it.

It was a joke, you dorks. laugh.gif

Anyway, Rep, if you are going to do this at school be careful not to burn that down either. Unless there are some teachers there you don't like. 893whatthe.gif

jom

Jtryka,

Ah, I see, forum police. I think PCGS forums are more your style. hi.gif

In PLAIN english for those who don't understand sarcasm or the english language.

************ DON'T DO THIS EXPERIMENT.!!!************** foreheadslap.gif

TRUTH

Jtryka,

In PLAIN english for those who don't understand sarcasm or the english language.

TRUTH

No, I am not the forum police, but you did make a commitment, and I don't think posts on the coin forum blatently espousing your personal political views are in the spirit of that commitment. You can break that commitment if you want, that's up to you, but if you do, please just do it in the WC or Political forums instead of polluting the coin forum.

Again, I called you on this, and you respond by attacking me personally. Very nice, but why couldn't you have simply responded by admitting you were wrong?

I have been conducting that experiment on several coins in the last couple week. As a matter of fact, I posted those very same instructions here a couple weeks ago and discussed it. And yes, it works pretty good.

Jtryka,

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif Shame on you. You are the forum police. It's better to praise for my good posts, which you never do.

I probably saved 's life recommending him not to do this experiment. In fact, I don't recommend anyone performing experiments like this without qualified supervision. I accept your thanks and your apologies. This is as constructive as a post can get.

TRUTH

Jtryka,

TRUTH

Why not?

Here's some info you can use if you want to try it Pube. The solution mentioned has a resistance of about 4.5 ohms with the electrodes spaced at 2.5" to 3". At 9v it draws approximately 2 amps and has a good reaction. A 9v, 2.5-3A ac-dc adapter should be pretty easy to find. You can also place a fuse in line, just to be safe. I played around with it a bit this morning with some stuff that I dug. This cent (attached) had the most improvement.

376551-electrocent.jpg.26a3ac1f819abf500847deec3af252fd.jpg

It's better to praise for my good posts, which you never do.

Be careful when using that term "never." I posted a question on the world coin forum, and you responded with an answer along with some ofher folks, and I replied:

Thanks everyone for the good and interesting information!

Believe it or not, that "everyone" included you. (here is a link to the thread: World Coin Thread )

Frankly truth, you do make some good posts, and I've notices a lot of your good posts end up on the world coin forum, which unfortunately I rarely visit.

Shame on you. You are the forum police.

Really? Would you like to provide some evidence of your wildly imaginative accusations? Remember, in the real world we call what you do "libel."

I probably saved 's life recommending him not to do this experiment. In fact, I don't recommend anyone performing experiments like this without qualified supervision.

Actually, I believe RobertB probably saved 's life with his clear and concise warning. You might have saved him from incarceration in Cuba, at least that's all I could figure out from your little political rant on the coin forum.

This is as constructive as a post can get.

Actually, better phrasing would say "This is as constructive as one of my posts can get." There are far more constructive posts on this forum, however this was a very good post, and much better than I've come to expect from you (oh no! I think I just complimented you again! I thought I "never" did that?).

I accept your thanks and your apologies.

And the delusions continue...where is that ignore feature anyway????

I have been conducting that experiment on several coins in the last couple week. As a matter of fact, I posted those very same instructions here a couple weeks ago and discussed it. And yes, it works pretty good.

I did see that and thank you Tj, that is where I got it from. Well thanks for the advice(excluding TT). I will see if I can do it at my school.

You're welcome, Publican.

SPINY:

1. Is the distance apart of the two alligator clips important?

2. Is the saline concentration important?

3. I also read from a MD-er that the clip holding the coin should not touch the solution. Why?

1. Just for safety. The closer they are, the less resistance there will be and the more current you will draw from your supply. If you try and draw more current from the supply than it's rated for, you run the risk of overheating it and possibly burning down your house. smirk.gif

2. I don't think it's real critical as long as there is enough for conduction. 3. I can't think of any good reasons offhand, but then again, today was the first time I tried this.

1. Just for safety. The closer they are, the less resistance there will be and the more current you will draw from your supply. If you try and draw more current from the supply than it's rated for, you run the risk of overheating it and possibly burning down your house. smirk.gif

2. I don't think it's real critical as long as there is enough for conduction. 3. I can't think of any good reasons offhand, but then again, today was the first time I tried this.

a. I tried Sodium Carbonate (Super Baking Soda) instead of NaCl and it didn't work. What's so great about Salt as a conductor. Can you think of a better one?

b. Yup, the handle of my spoon is getting thinner and thinner near the business end. Perhaps something better than a spoon? What about a big fat screwdriver or a lightning rod? What kind of metal does it HAVE TO be?

So how long does this take to set up? And TT do not answer. Just leave with whatever dignity you have left.

It's very easy to set up, but you need to have the materials together first. Especially the ac-dc adapter of sufficent voltage. You proably have one laying around that you are not using, if not, buy one. Read those instructions about which one you need carefully. When you are ready to start I can walk you thru it . Or Spiny, who is more knowledgeable about electricty can. It's really not dangerous at all.

So how long does this take to set up? And TT do not answer. Just leave with whatever dignity you have left.

It's very easy to set up, but you need to have the materials together first. Especially the ac-dc adapter of sufficient voltage. You probably have one laying around that you are not using, if not, buy one. Read those instructions about which one you need carefully. When you are ready to start I can walk you thru it . Or Spiny, who is more knowledgeable about electricty can. It's really not dangerous at all.

OK thanks a bunch. I really appreciate this.

Tj, have we put away are differences for now? Also when can I go back posting?

It's very easy to set up, but you need to have the materials together first. Especially the ac-dc adapter of sufficient voltage. You probably have one laying around that you are not using, if not, buy one. Read those instructions about which one you need carefully. When you are ready to start I can walk you thru it . Or Spiny, who is more knowledgeable about electricty can. It's really not dangerous at all.

I thought your water-cooler posting OK date was set between you and the person who challenged you?

You are quite welcome. Now remember, if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. If you think you know what you are doing, ask how to do it. If know how to do it, then do it. But if you know how to do it and can't, ask TJ to do it for you. laugh.gif

TRUTH

I thought your water-cooler posting OK date was set between you and the person who challenged you?

Maybe I should go look at that. I will go PM Joanna now.

a. I tried Sodium Carbonate (Super Baking Soda) instead of NaCl and it didn't work. What's so great about Salt as a conductor. Can you think of a better one?

b. Yup, the handle of my spoon is getting thinner and thinner near the business end. Perhaps something better than a spoon? What about a big fat screwdriver or a lightning rod? What kind of metal does it HAVE TO be?

Hmmm... Sodium Carbonate should have worked. I tried Sodium Bicarbonate and it took most of whateveritwas off of this NZ cent (definitely looks cleaned, though). The other thing I liked about it was that the solution remained clear. Any metal would work, but may have different results. I tried a piece of copper pipe. It made a mess out of the solution and turned bright coins dark. Stainless steel is probably the best option.

377048-electronzcent.jpg

377048-electronzcent.jpg.35cc8df0136f64f59612a6d666af7c60.jpg