• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Test Your Knowledge Question #1 and #2

15 posts in this topic

I enjoy the history surrounding Numismatics and wanted to test folks knowledge here. It's all in fun and I'll provide the answer tomorrow. I may also throw in a new question.

Enjoy! :)

While she was creating the motif for the 1936 Albany (New York) Tercentenary half dollar, artist Gertrude Lathrop kept one of these in her studio:

a. "Don't Tread on Me" flag from the Revolutionary War.

b. String of Indian wampum beads.

c. Beaver.

d. Engraving of Robert Fulton's Clermont steamship.

GertrudeLathrop.jpg

Gertrude

albanyobv.jpg

Albany in NGC MS68

She kept a stuffed aardvark that she thought looked like a beaver but was really a camouflaged steamship?

Actually, Gertrude kind of reminds me of a marsupial - maybe it's the glass eye or the kangaroo nose…?

Actually, I was living in the studio with Gert at the time. She dealt a mean hand of pinochle too, I might add......

That is the smallest "Liberty" on any half dollar, to be sure......

Paul

Knowing just how quirky artists can be, it would not surprise me if she had one of each in the family studio.

All 4 items Lee mentions are associated with the State of New York.

"Don't Tread on Me" is actually the first American Flag representing the freedom of the original thirteen colonies, of which New York was one.

Manhattan was bought for $24 in beads in 1626 (wampum)

The Beaver is the State animal of New York

On August 17, 1807, the Clermont, Robert Fulton's first American steamboat, left New York for Albany, inaugurating the first commercial steamboat service in the world.

This one was too easy. ;) Thanks WJ for adding some content. :) The correct answer is c. I appreciate some of the unique answers to this one also. lol

Let's see how you do with this one:

An interesting aspect of the 1794 Flowing Hair half dime is that:

a. None were actually struck in 1794.

b. George Washington personally approved the design after reviewing several sketches of female heads.

c. All were struck from silver made from melted-down Spanish-American 8-real "dollars".

d. Due to an error in legislation, they were not legal tender.

Good luck!

1794obv.jpg

NGC AU58

The correct answer is c.

Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute...There was no "C" in the list of four options! How come a letter that wasn't on the list gets to win? What is this, the BCS software system??

:)

The correct answer is c.

Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute...There was no "C" in the list of four options! How come a letter that wasn't on the list gets to win? What is this, the BCS software system??

:)

Sure there is. ;)