• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today's Best Metal Detect Find...

14 posts in this topic

I knew it was a nickle by the size but that's all I knew. Completely covered in junk. So it went to electrolysis, round 1, and it's a 1930 Buffalo. It's back in electrolysis round 2 to clean further. If it turns out great, I'll take a lousy picture of it.

It's a 30-S Goose and the details aren't good on the legs or any other area for that matter except the date and the words "Five Cents". frown.gif

What's your usual coin to bottle-cap find ratio?

-JamminJ

Well, with my superior Fisher metal detector, most bottle-caps are ignored by the machine. Pull-tabs however (from the days when they came apart from the can) register as $ (silver) even though they are "notched out" on the machine. I'm thinking of upgrading to Fisher's newest model "Coin$trike" and I am going to snipe one that Mrpawn is selling on Ebay (see metal detecting forum across the street).

I was going to use "pop-tops" as an example of junk you might find with a metal detector but envisioned that desending into another discussion of David Hall's teeth so I switched to bottle caps.

Good luck on your snipe.

-JamminJ

I was going to use "pop-tops" as an example of junk you might find with a metal detector but envisioned that desending into another discussion of David Hall's teeth so I switched to bottle caps.

pop-top.jpg

TJ

I saw MrPawn's post. A 1,000.00 machine! I wouldn't mind having an old clunker to experiment with. That one guy over there sure finds a lot of neat stuff.

pop-top.jpg

893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif

TJ

I saw MrPawn's post. A 1,000.00 machine! I wouldn't mind having an old clunker to experiment with. That one guy over there sure finds a lot of neat stuff.

Goose, even at $500 for a Fisher Coin$strike that would be a bargain. That's their latest model, top of the line. I'm guessing the bidding will get fast and furious for this by the final end day.

most bottle-caps are ignored by the machine.

Back in the early 70's when I was very active in metal detecting, there were no discriminator models yet invented. And although they may save you from a lot of unnecessary digging, it can be to your loss.

I was lucky enough to be the first to detect a grade schools front and back playgrounds...all grass and original from the early 1900's when it was built. I found everything under the sun, junk-wise and coin wise. But this one time, I got a "hit", dug down about 6" and pulled out a wad of aluminum foil. Felt heavy for its size, so I unwrapped it. Inside was an old bottle cap...inside the bottle cap, some kid had put two Mercs in! Both BU as I remember!

Now, would I have found them with a discriminator model? Probably not. Should you always dig up a hit? Probably not. But I do not think that what the kid did with his dimes is the only possible way where you could pass up a coin find.

I would personally opt for a discriminator model, but I think I would go back over an area already covered with it in non-discriminating mode, just to be on the safe side!

That's true Spy88. Fortunately, with a press of a couple buttons I can tell the machine to accept all signals from rusty nails on up the junk chain.

Also, if someone buried an ammo box of coins I probably would miss it as the signal would be an overload noise and I would assume it's a big piece of iron or something.

confused-smiley-013.gif