• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1754 Hall Pfennig: Krause Plate Coin?

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Here's another coin from my growing collection of German coins:

374866-HandofGod.JPG

This one is a 1754 pfennig, KM 43, from the Free City of Hall in Germany. I though the uniface design quite neat and have wanted a Hall coin since first browsing a catalog and seeing the Hand of God symbol on the coat of arms.

For those of you with an 18th century Krause catalog why not compare the above coin to the plate coin used to illustrate the type. Specifically note the darkened areas on the cross and fingers, dot to the left of the date, darked spot between the shields and the asymmetry of the denticles. I think they are the exact same coin! I didn't notice it until it was pointed out by the owner of the bid board where I bought the coin, but how about that! I'm really jazzed by this coin as you may be able to tell from my sig line!

Anyway, Hall is a very old city in Southern Germany gaining the status of a Free City of the Holy Roman Empire in 1276 and given the mintage right in 1396. It began to issue small silver coins which we're called "Hallers" whose name eventually evolved into "heller," a common denomination name in this neck of the woods. As with many other minor German states Napoleon caused the city to end its independant existance by being annexed to Wurtemburg in 1803 when the newly enlarged Duchy was given Elector status. Hall stayed with Wurtemburg, raised to a Kingdom in 1806, when it joined the German empire in 1871 and right through the dissolution of the Empire in 1918. I think Hall was also the location of a HRE Imperial mint as many, many Austrian coins we're made at the Hall mint.

As always, comments are welcome!

-JamminJ

The picture in the book is so small that it is impossible to tell. There is also no picture of the reverse to help determine if this is the case. However, everything I saw matched up.

If you have a nicer coin than what is pictured in the catalog, Krause will accept photo submissions to be used in place of their coin photo. There is no financial compensation or even minor thanks in the book, but they will do this.

If you have a nicer coin than what is pictured in the catalog, Krause will accept photo submissions to be used in place of their coin photo. There is no financial compensation or even minor thanks in the book, but they will do this.

They really know how to motivate people, don't they?

They really know how to motivate people, don't they?

Better than some academic journals I've dealt with. For them you have to give them money, sign over the copyright, typeset it yourself and give them more money for a copy of your own paper. Now that's tight, but there are not many alternatives in many subjects.

-JamminJ

Nice coin JJ - but even better - I learned something from this post thumbsup2.gif

What did you learn, not to publish papers in the Journal of Geophysical Research? 27_laughing.gif

Glad you enjoyed the post.

-JamminJ