• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 SAE's

6 posts in this topic

I received my roll of 2004 SAE's on Friday from a local company that I decided to give some of my business to. I'm happy to have 21 of them, 1 for my Dansco album and the rest for storage for quite a few years.

The only thing that bugged me was that the holder was cracked on the side from top to bottom... making me feel as though they had been looked through already... VIOLATED! is it common to have a crack like this in the plastic or is this a sign they went through them before they sent them to me?

I'm actually tinkering around with the idea of getting a roll from each of the previous years. Can anyone recommend a good dealer to get these through? I'm probably not going to drop a bundle right away but go at it slowly in hopes I can scoop all of them up by the end of 2004.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I have been buying a roll every year since 1991, and have just now gone back to fill they early years (I now only need 86, 88 and 90), and I haven't found a descent dealer, but has just been patiently bidding on eBay for the ones I need. They are all pretty much available, though some (like the 1996) will cost you! One company I can recommend is JLS Numistmatics ( Link ) as I have bought from them for a number of years as they had good prices on rolls (I have only bought current year rolls from them though, not backdate rolls, so I'm not sure how their prices are).

As for your 2004 roll, this year seems to be really wierd, in that mine really didn't fit in the tube well. The tube didn't split, but the cover wouldn't fit on right, with a 3/16 inch gap! None of the other years are like this, and I am not sure what happened this year. Either way, you shouldn't feel violated. I also was disappointed in the quality of the coins this year too, but that's a whole other thread!

the rims are a little more raised this year than in year's past, leading to the gap you mentioned jtryka. This of course leads to numerous small ticks and hits on the periphery, and the raised motto and letters on each side. Take a look at the T in LIBERTY on the obverse, I can guarantee you that a large number of your 04's have marks on that letter, and all of them generally.

It's more than just the rims, it seems like the diameter is larger as well as these ones to not fit in the tubes as easily (thus I am not surprised by a story of a tube splitting). The hits are bad, and mine have some spots (not sure what they are) across the obverse.