• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staining?

8 posts in this topic

I have a Peace dollar in a NGC holder that is listed as stained. It has a couple of lines across the obverse that looks like there might have been a piece of tape on the coin at one time. What does NGC consider the term staining to mean, wouldn't these so-called stains just be unusual toning?

Thanks!

I believe they are considering that Damaged. I would consider that damage as well. A picture would help though. But, if it didn't come with a numerical grade then they agree that the coin is genuine, just not gradeable.

Staining usually implies some sort of residue, damage as a result of the residue, or unusual toning patterns left behind after the residue was cleaned off.Tape, glue, lacquer, or anything like that will result in a staining no-grade.

I have a Peace dollar in a NGC holder that is listed as stained. It has a couple of lines across the obverse that looks like there might have been a piece of tape on the coin at one time. What does NGC consider the term staining to mean, wouldn't these so-called stains just be unusual toning?

Thanks!

could it be?? a rubber band "stain" from the high sulfer from the rubber band?? this is common on older silver coins and i have seen it many times on capped bust halves

i guess the stains could be considered unusual toning but it damage to my minds eye

A staining no-grade results when not even a dip will remove the toning. In this case, the surface is etched so deeply, or "stained" by the toning, that it is considered damage. Many, MANY toned coins would be labeled "stained," if they were dipped and sent for grading, so I dont always agree with the use of this type of no-grade.