• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help... What am I doing wrong??

27 posts in this topic

I'm assuming you want more flashy luster, right? What is your shutter speed and f/stop for these? I'm sure you know this, but a faster shutter speed will generally produce a more in focus picture - especially your second attempt seems a little less crisp than it could be.

It almost looks like you've got too much light, and its too diffuse. Diffuse light is necessary for toners, but kills the attempts at luster. Try backing the lights away from it some.

Maybe try a different type of light source if you can't get it right, as an experiment.

1876819-001O.jpg

1876819-001R.jpg

White coins are difficult because there is so much white. Shadows are actually one of your best friends for bringing out detail in the devices. You might try some subtle hand shadowing to see if it also brings out some luster. Another added problem might be light placement, although I'm sure you move your lights. It's just finding the right combination, location and elevation of the light source or sources.

What are you using to determine your WB? If you are using a grey card, which WB setting are you using to take it's picture? Since the "Daylight" WB setting's color temperature is the closest on the dial to the OTT light's color temperature, you might try it and see if it helps.

OK James, I'll bite. :o What is the "SOLB" lighting method?

42w.jpg

I think the issue in this case is not the brightness of the lighting - you've got the coin

very well-exposed. Rather, your lighting angle is a bit off. On the obverse, you're

emphasizing the shadows on the shoulder area and the field behind the sun. Try and

emphasize the bands on Liberty's skirt, the hand region, and the flag with gentle

shading instead. With the eagle, try and achieve a little more contrast in the breast

area.

Depending on how much lustre is left, you'll probably have more luck with a two light

system - have one provide most of the illumination and shadows, while using the other

lamp at ~90 degrees to mitigate the harsher shadow areas a little.

WLHs are difficult to photograph, in my experience. They've got so many nooks and

crannies at odd angles to each other that lighting becomes difficult.

I do think you're almost there with this one, though - mainly because I like the exposure

so much. I don't like the second photo attempt nearly as much as this one. It's too

overexposed, for starters.

This pic of mine is a little better at hitting the shadows in the right places, but I'm not

totally happy with how it shows of the luster, which appears muted in the photo. The

color balance in my photo is also a tad warm.

050-0039-775.jpg

I like the bottom two the best. I can't decide which of those two I like better. It would be easier to decide if they were a bit smaller and side by side. Way better than your original images. What lighting are you using now?

I like the bottom two the best. I can't decide which of those two I like better. It would be easier to decide if they were a bit smaller and side by side. Way better than your original images. What lighting are you using now?

Same lighting as before... Just moved around and played with a bit

I can resize them all to make it easier to see... 1 sec