• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

View of SF Mint Activity on You Tube

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I was scanning through old movies about my home town of San Francisco, and I found one from 1940 with scenes shot at the mint. It shows what appear to be WL Halves fresh from the presses. The mint scenes are at approximately the four-minute mark:

Neat! Gold bars being moved. Hot rinse of the planchets in the whitening solution (looks like quarter blanks), then half dollars coming out of the press. Too bad the film of press operators wasn't longer - might resolve some lingering questions. (One operator per press - odd. Should have been 1/4 with the automatic feeders. Maybe separate denominations?)

Pretty cool video. Not much has changed for SF except everything is in color now. I thought that was pretty neat how they turned the cable cars around. Thanks for the link David.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Definitely staged. One press operator would oversee three or four presses at a time by the 1940s.

Here's another link to enjoy. I've used some of these photos in my books:

http://sflib1.sfpl.org:82/search~S0?/d%22mint%22/dmint/1%2C6%2C115%2CE/2exact&FF=dmint+buildings+new+exterior&1%2C25%2c