• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets see your impulse buys

13 posts in this topic

Today I went to my local coin shop just to drop in and chat with the owner. I figured while I was there, I would look for a cheap $50 something to add to my 7070 set.

While I was there he pulled out a 2x2 storage box of some of his new purchases so I could go through it. I came across a very nice reeded edge capped bust half and fell in love with it. It is a strong XF possibly an AU with very nice original surfaces and great color. I am not 100% sure on the grade because I am not too familiar with the series but I only paid VF money for it. It was a bit more than I was planning on spending but as soon as I saw it I just had to have it. It also fills a hole in my 7070 lol

I will post pictures of the coin when I get home.

Lets see some of your coins with a similar story!

I'm with colonial on this one - I have a hard time making impulse buys. If I buy something, I have to justify to myself how it will fit in with one of my sets. If it doesn't easily fit, I have to figure out why I want it, and if it could be the start of a new set (and if I want to start a new set!)

Sometimes, I'll see something and immediately recognize that it will take my set in a new direction - but it makes sense. So I'll buy it immediately. Othertimes, it takes a bit more convincing.

I'm with colonial on this one - I have a hard time making impulse buys. If I buy something, I have to justify to myself how it will fit in with one of my sets. If it doesn't easily fit, I have to figure out why I want it, and if it could be the start of a new set (and if I want to start a new set!)

Sometimes, I'll see something and immediately recognize that it will take my set in a new direction - but it makes sense. So I'll buy it immediately. Othertimes, it takes a bit more convincing.

Pretty much the same here anytime I am at a coin shop/show if I purchase anything it is mostly for someone else besides myself.

I never really have any impulse buys. I only search for coins that I have on my want list and don't really just look at all coins.

I don't go to coin shops because I already know I would blow my coin budget out of the water.

Here a 2 coins I bought and I was not looking for at the time but they will be staying in my set for a long time.

Only 6 graded in the UC Level at NGC

7826.jpg

Only 5 graded in the DCAM Level at PCGS

7827.jpg

lol let me clarify, This coin was on my want list. I wasn't really going to shop for a coin quite this pricey though.

As soon as I saw it I had to have it. That is what I am talking about.

Here are a couple of pics. the color hardly shows at all but it has some great toning.

1.jpg

2.jpg

If I am reading your post correctly, this is an impulse buy in the sense that you were not looking for this particular coin, but that you still needed and wanted this coin for one of your sets. If this is correct, then it appears more like serendipity than buying something unrelated to your core collection.

For myself, I have a few core interests and they include my US type set (one high grade set and one lower grade, Dansco 7070), wonderfully toned and original WQs (though the market values these more than I do at the moment), other cool type (just about anything too neat to pass up) and truly "out there" stuff. Below is an "out there" purchase of a 1953 South African Mint proof set in the original blue leather box with white satin interior top and the SAM monogram in gold and it even includes the original interior eight-side cut tissue papers. This particular set is the first with QEII and contains not only the three copper coins and six silver coins, but also is one of the more rare sets that has the two gold coins as well. Three thousand sets were produced and offered at an issue price of $29.40, but I do not know if all were sold or if some later melted. Additionally, these sets can come with terrific toning and quite a few have been lost over the years because they are split up to collect the various denominations. I purchased this set in early 2003 and paid just under gold bullion value for the set.

SAM_1953B.JPG

That is a really nice set you have. It looks similar to my 1956 short set (without the gold.) The silver all graded NGC PR-66 and PR-67.

1953 is actually one of the more common sets, but I believe that its possible that many of the gold coins were melted in 1979-1980. I have never heard this from another source but its my suspicion because of the low to possibly zero numismtic premium that existed at the time.

I love impulse buys. I haven't bought anything in a year and on impulse bought three ungraded, boxed GSA dollars yesterday. They should get here in a week or so.