• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cross Over Question

3 posts in this topic

Is it in your interest to break the coin out of the current slab before submitting? It would seem that knowing what PCGS graded a certain coin could influence (hopefully not) the NGC grader? I guess you run the risk of receiving a lower grade, since NGC will only grade if they believe it should grade higher with the slab. Dilema??? Any suggestions.

Welcome to our forums!

The only advantage I can see to breaking a coin out is that it does allow the graders to get a slightly better look at the coin. When a coin is submitted for crossover, we honestly do not care what grade the coin has been assigned by other services and I always come up with my opinion before even looking to see what holder it is currently in. There can be substantial downside in removing a coin from its certified holder and I do not suggest this unless if you are a professional numismatist and even then it can yield less than favorable results.

John