• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Ottoman/Egyptian Qinsh: Unusual and Cool!

7 posts in this topic

I had a productive visit to a local coin shop last weekend so I have a few new acquisitions to share over the next few days. The most unusual coin among the new arrivals is this guy:

a Year 30 Ottoman - Egyptian Qirsh, KM299.

370539-egypt.JPG

One of my collecting themes is the coinage of the major combatants of the first world war during the years 1914-1918. Thus far during my hunt locating appropriate coins from the Ottoman Empire, modern day Turkey, especially eye appealing uncirculated examples has been troublesome. Thus, when I came across this coin I couldn’t resist despite it not really fitting in with my theme in either country or year – besides not many people I know can read the squiggles! I’ll just file it under my “miscellaneous cool coin” collection.

The year is given in two parts, the bottom of the reverse where four characters look like a dyslexic “1797” translates to the Mohammedan year 1293 = 1876 A.D., which is the year the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Murad V began. Above the text on the same side are two additional digits which translate to 30, the thirtieth year of the reign or 1906. At the time Egypt was ruled oddly with a local Sultan, then Abbas II Hilmi, who owed nominal allegiance to the one in Istanbul but with lots of British around, thanks to the Suez Canal, who really ran things. Once the Ottoman Empire joined the war with Germany and Austria Britain formally declared Egypt their protectorate on 14 December 1914 ending its association with the Turks.

The tea kettle looking device on the obverse is known as a toughra and is the symbol of the Ottoman Empire. An interesting tid-bit explained to me by the dealer that the device is a stylized combination of the Sultan’s hand print with his signature.

Comments are welcome,

-JamminJ

You don't really wanna hear comments from me on an Ottoman coin. cool.gif I'll wait for other members to comment, and then I'll ask you to identify a similar one,(you seem to be very good at it, I don't know how you do it) in toned BU condition, that has somehow found its way to my collection. blush.gif

Hi Syracusian,

I was beginning to wonder if I would get any relies at all! I knew I collected unpopular stuff, but just didn't figure how unpopular. 893frustrated.gif

I understand the historical bad blood between the Ottomans and the Greeks, but thought relations between Greece and Turkey had improved somewhat lately, spurred on by some aid offered after an earthquake a couple of years back. An amicable solution to divided Cyprus seems to be in the offing as well.

I look forward to your Ottoman coin!

-JamminJ

I knew I collected unpopular stuff, but just didn't figure how unpopular. 893frustrated.gif

-JamminJ

I'm afraid the asian and asia minor coins are beyond me. I have seen what I thought was a nice design every now & then. But for the most part - they don't appeal to me. But that's why they make chocolate & vanilla wink.gif

There is always a very good side to coins that are not "popular" in the collecting community. Even if the coin is not easy to find - when ya do - the price is generally right gossip.gif

Looks AU with dip residue. devil.gif

Nobody likes a wisenhiemer. smirk.gif

Seriously, everytime I learn a new way of messing up a coin, for instance by leaving dip residue on the surfaces, I tend to overeact and see the same problem all over the place. I showed this coin to an esteemed board member before buying it and it received the Official Message Board Ambassador Seal of Approval™. cloud9.gif

-JamminJ