• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently completed token set

11 posts in this topic

Dickerson, Mississippi, former headquarters of the King & Anderson plantation, is located in Coahoma county, in the Mississippi Delta. It is five miles south of Friar's Point, which sits on the bank of the Mississippi River. The town was established in 1889, when the railroad came through.

The King & Anderson plantation had a cotton gin and a general store, where these tokens were used. Reportedly, the store was also used as a commissary by the Chicago Mill & Lumber Company, while it was in the area.

None of these tokens is rare, with the scarcest being listed as an R4 (25-49 known). The most common ones show up with some frequency at local coin shows and on ebay.

My latest find was one of the 50c tokens - the one with no comma after Dickerson. (The one that is not in a 2x2)

King & Anderson also used a $3.50 punch card, which I haven't been able to locate, yet. It consisted of two cards with punchouts totaling $1.75 each. When a purchase was made, the clerk would punch the appropriate number of slots to equal the total amount.

One cent tokens of this era were not common, since the cost of the token often exceeded its face value.

KingAndersonF01.jpg

Looks like "INC." was added as an afterthought on this 5c token.

KingAndersonG05.jpg

KingAndersonE10.jpg

KingAndersonD25.jpg

These 50c tokens share a common reverse. Not sure why I switched the positions on the second one. :blush:

KingAndersonB50.jpg

KingAndersonC50.jpg

The first $1 token is an R4 - a little harder to find.

KingAndersonA100.jpg

KingAndersonB100.jpg