• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cross-Section of US Dimes in Circulation (Part 2 of 4)

7 posts in this topic

I did this back in 2007 when I sorted through boxes of each circulating denomination, so I thought I'd do it again. I posted the first part of this series (quarters) a few months ago and I've finally gotten around to doing the dimes. Mainly 'cause I didn't want the money tied up in coins sitting next to my printer. From a box of dimes (plus a few (78) that I had lying around), so a sample size of 2581 dimes:

pre-1965: 0.08% *

1965-1969: 3.25%

1970-1979: 6.24%

1980-1989: 11.51%

1990-1999: 30.34%

2000-2009: 48.59%

* I'm really excited, even though they were just 2 circulated 1964 dimes. These are the first silver dimes or quarters I've found from "circulation" before, despite searching boxes in the past and rolling thousands of dollars my senior year of HS from the band's soda machine.

Note that, in addition to the above, there were 3 dimes that were so mangled I could not read the dates. This is the first time that's happened, too.

According to my post about 2 years ago, this is what the distribution was back in 2007, with a sample size of 2505:

pre-1965: 0.00%

1965-1969: 2.67%

1970-1979: 5.35%

1980-1989: 10.66%

1990-1999: 27.47%

2000-2006: 53.85%

I created the two graphs below to show the results. The error bars are based solely upon counting statistics within the sample, and they do not reflect the uncertainty in estimating general circulation results from 1 box of dimes. Within those, the values are statistically the same except for the last two decades (and pre-1965, but that's limited by small number statistics).

census_dimes_all.jpg

Cool.

It looks pretty close to what I see. I suspect that the degree of change is exaggerated a little by sampling error. Specifically I suspect that there had been some coins released from storage in your first sample that were a few years old.

The old clad dimes are really getting fewer and farther between due to their exceedingly high attrition and, to a lesser extent, the slightly higher attrition of the older thinner dimes.

Until all the coins in storage get back in circulation these comparisons will tend to be a little skewed toward older coins since newer ones are more likely to get stored. There are some pretty neat coins in storage too since a few coins that had been pulled out in the last ten years by collectors have been reentering circulation. When mintages start climbing again it will be a great time to start collecting. Time really is running out though as these are beginning to get searched for better examples and varieties.

Excellent study. I enjoy statistical analyses. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the silver find. I know a circulated silver Roosie isn't worth that much, but it is exciting to find something worth more than face, even if it wouldn't even buy you lunch.

I think a penny analysis would be interesting as well because the 95% coppers are starting to drop out of circulation.

...I think a penny analysis would be interesting as well because the 95% coppers are starting to drop out of circulation.

That's part 4. ;) Gotta get through the nickels first.