• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the first coin you ever purchased?

7 posts in this topic

The first time I ever went to a coin shop I got a 1887 O Morgan dollar... in Fine condition... That is what got me started... Also picked up some Whitman books ... but the Morgan was my first bought coin... What was yours?

1931-S penny - UNC - picked it from a nearly full original roll (paid 50 cents) - bought it the day after Easter in 1950 - The "Easter Bunny" left me 50 cents and that's how I spent it. Sold my Unc Lincoln Set when I was 16 & bought a brand new Chevy Convertible - wish I had the coins back!!

The first coin I ever purchased was at auction - a 1937-D 3-legged Buffalo in VFish. Sold the coin a little while later.

Can't remember the first coin I bought from a dealer.

The first coin that I ever purchased from a dealer was a 1914 Indian Half Eagle in BU condition. If I remember correctly, it cost about $80.

1922 Peace dollar - XF. Paid $1.75 for it. My first slabbed coin was a 1938-D buffalo nickel in MS67 graded by ICG. It was really a 66 at best. frown.gif

Hoot

Way back in the early 70s when I was a kid I bought a few coins from a store.

When I got back into rare coins 20 years later I bought some stuff from a local shop. A 88-W Silver eagle and a 76-S Proof Ike. I then met this guy to do a private deal a few days later and I bought a few things from his. One was a 36-S Merc dime, a quarter eagle, a 38-D Buff etc. All these coins I no longer own.

The first "BIG" coin I bought was a 1919-S Merc Dime from Dave Swietz. It was "big" because it cost $650 and it was not a Kennedy or Ike like I had been doing the previous months. This was a "real" coin. laugh.gif I still have that Merc....

10c-19s_small.jpg

laugh.gif

jom

It's a tie. Back in 1960 I purchased an 1838 half dime and an 1846 large cent from my mother's cleaning lady. The half dime is a VG and the large cent is a Good. I still own both coins.