• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Trime...please provide grade opinions???

20 posts in this topic

In all the years I have collected I have never owned a 3CS.....and when I got this in hand I was shocked at the size but the toning made my mouth water. So what do you grade it and what do you think about the coins overall appearance??? Not a great strike on this one but I know the strike strength can be all over the place with these little buggars..... :frustrated:

Trime044.jpg

Trime049.jpg

Now THAT looks like a Krypto photo compared to the previous images you showed me. I take it that you finally got the little bugger in hand. They are DINKY aren't they? Guaranteed to make your eyes hurt from trying to focus on them. OTOH, many of them make your eyes light up, as they can tone up very nicely, as yours has.

An excellent pickup, Shane. Congrats!!! :applause:

It looks like an attractive, originally toned, typically struck (from clashed dies) MS64 to me. I'm guessing it's more lustrous in-hand.

Considering it's size it has great luster and the color pops off the surface.... :cloud9:

Ok I can't hold out so....

Good guesses all....this is certainly not my series so I am not familiar with the wear patterns vs strike weaknesses but after looking at other 1862's even in grades of PCGS MS66 and seeing a lot of missing details I felt a lot better about the grade on the holder. The luster is great on the coin and the color pops and I can't say I see any luster breaks on the coin in hand but at the price I paid.......I ain't complaining.

So in honor of our usual coin mantra "Buy the coin and not the plastic" I present to you the GRADE:

Trime053.jpg

Trime055.jpg

Thanks a bunch for playing a long ....hopefully I will get to keep this little beauty for a long time to come :wishluck:

I like it a lot Shane! :applause:

And no I have never owned one neither. And I was going to say AU-55 for the grade before I saw the slabbed image.

You can tell from your reverse image that it's AU.

Congrats (thumbs u

Oh, great. I had emailed someone who had guessed AU50-55, and told him he was confusing weak strike for wear and it should grade at least AU58 :blush:

The second set of images makes it look AU, but the first set screamed unc. to me. ;)

I believe that if this coin was in a 58 holder (PCGS/NGC), not to many folks would question it.....honestly when I rotate the coin around I don't see breaks in the luster but it's a small coin so there coin be hm

I just knew nobody would give the coin a fair shake if they saw the holder first lol

It all depends upon the luster. If the piece has full luster, it's worth a crack-out and re-grade at NGC or PCGS. If it's really dull, I know why it's in an NTS holder. If it has some luster and a little rub, NTS got it right. :o

Like they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day. ;) To date the best NTS coin I've seen for the grade was a Barber half dollar in an NTS MS-64 holder. When it was cracked out and sent to NGC, it came back graded MS-62. It was really PQ MS-62 so we might say that NTS came within 1 point and a half of getting it right.

It all depends upon the luster. If the piece has full luster, it's worth a crack-out and re-grade at NGC or PCGS. If it's really dull, I know why it's in an NTS holder. If it has some luster and a little rub, NTS got it right. :o

Like they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day. ;) To date the best NTS coin I've seen for the grade was a Barber half dollar in an NTS MS-64 holder. When it was cracked out and sent to NGC, it came back graded MS-62. It was really PQ MS-62 so we might say that NTS came within 1 point and a half of getting it right.

The coin has nice full coverage luster....is it booming....I have no idea becuase this is the first I have owned lol When I rotate the coin....there is luster across the whole surface, even the center of the reverse where it looks like wear on the coin in my images so I can't see it going lower then a nice midgrade AU if submitted to NGC or PCGS hm