• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1831 CBH - Grade and Should I send to NCS?

14 posts in this topic

I recently bought this CBH and would like an opinion on it. I'm just getting into CBHs and enjoy their variety and history. While I'm new at this (and my photography skills are subpar), I think the Obverse is a relatively weak strike with some strange toning and the reverse is a strong strike with nice natural luster.

Looking at the obverse, where my concern is

Your opinion:

1. What do you think the Grade is?

2. Am I right to think the strike on the lower and upper right side of the obverse is weak, and the lack of definition is due to the strike rather than wear?

3. Should I send it to NCS for the obverse (unattractive) toning?

4. Would NGC bodybag this?

I've had good experience with NCS cleaning up a really ugly Flying Eagle cent that had 150 years of grime and was greasy to the touch. (Fonzie could have greased his hair with this one) Bought for $15 and graded for AU 53. Just back collecting this year after a 15 year hiatus.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

86832.jpg.e1817806fbfe23aa0b63863fbff53156.jpg

86833.jpg.86ba1508979ac66808d5b53ab1f7efca.jpg

I think I have a good idea on my series when a coin is a good candidate for conservation but I do not collect these. On this one, I would say no. With the change to the NGC details grading, I'm not sure that someone can submit a coin for evaluation first to NCS. If so, I would probably do so unless you do not mind if it ends up in a holder with the details label. I would not and have several nice NCS coins that I will be sending for reholdering shortly. I believe the marketability will be improved.

Hard to tell based off of the obverse pictures, but the reverse is certainly MS! I would leave it the way it is and submit for grading as that "grime" is just toning.

I actually agree with this assessment, except I'm think more AU than MS.

It is a tough call without seeing it in hand. If it is just toning that is causing the splotchiness, then it may grade anyway. Giving the coin a dip will always risk removing luster. But it may work.

It's funny, I too think the reverse looks MS, but the obverse seems to show rub? Maybe this was sitting in one of those velvet lined drawers with the obverse down and that's what caused the tone / rub on the obverse? Anyhow, it seems to have been dipped though which kind of rules out part of what I'm talking about here, but if I were a member of Mythbusters, I would think it was at least plausible!! ;)

Any insight on the weak strike? The obverse upper stars are very weak, the middle are stronger and the lower stars are relatively weak. I was also thinking of a rub from a felt drawer, but it wouldn't explain the uneven weakness in the stars, though it could explain some of the lack of details in the hair. Any ideas on a variety?

The splotchiness is just toning, no grime. Just relatively unattractive.

Grade – Au 58 only because I think I see some slight friction on the hair curls, but this also has the look of a MS .I can not tell unless I could see a better picture. The coin does have the typical strike issues however the reverse looks to have a good strike with the typical softness in the lower left feathers area. Flat stars are very common and softness in the hair curl is not unusual.

I would not send it to NCS

I have seen coins of this color in NGC holders but it is very possible this one could be bagged. It is hard to tell from your photo.

I do not think the coin is corroded rather it has a dusty tone caused by being dipped and either not properly rinsed or stored in a holder that brought on that color .

I would grade that as a MS. The obverse probably was in some sorta of container or folder of some sort, but it's still UC and the reverse doesn't show any wear. I'm for sending it to NGC.

I would say this coin is MS details, stained. It has probably been dipped and then developed this streaky staining from an improper rinse combined with exposure to toning catalists like sulfer, heat, and moister. It may also be corroded as James noted, but it's impossible to tell from the pictures. If it were mine, I would have it examined for possible conservation, even if I didnt think it would grade...they could at least improve the appearance.

If the coin is corroded, it will not grade with any of the reliable services. If not corroded, I would send this coin, as is, to PCGS for grading.

If the coin is corroded, it will not grade with any of the reliable services. If not corroded, I would send this coin, as is, to PCGS for grading.

I dont think this coin would grade. However, PCGS has the best chance of slabbing it problem free.