• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this coins story?

10 posts in this topic

I bought this Columbian Half dollar recently and I wanted to know what you guys thought about it.

First off let me say that I find this coin very attractive. The colors are very bright and it appears that this coin was prooflike when it was first minted.

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

The tone is mostly golden and orange with some areas of green at 6-8 o'clock on the obverse and an area of plum purple along the rim at 9-12 o'clock on the reverse.

As you can see, on the devices and the unprotected areas of the field there is rub. Though you cannot see it in the pictures, these areas have been retoning a nice ice blue.

The rubbed areas do not appear to have been a result of a harsh cleaning or anything like that, no hairlining, no evidence of wizzing. They devices also do not show any real wear, this coin has alot more detail in the high spots than the pictures show. There is also a complete lack of contact marks.

What do you guys think the story of this coin is and what are your opinions of it?

Circulated for a short time, then put into an album?
It's not the romantic tale of swashbuckling adventures he was hoping for, but that's probably the right story.

I like it. I think better pictures are needed to bring out the luster and color, but it looks like an attractive AU commem.

It would be nice to get some pics that show what the coin actually looks like. I'd like to see the colors and possibly more details. Looks like an old fingerprint behind columbus is getting toned over also.

Circulated for a short time, then put into an album?
It's not the romantic tale of swashbuckling adventures he was hoping for, but that's probably the right story.

I like it. I think better pictures are needed to bring out the luster and color, but it looks like an attractive AU commem.

Yup you are right, I realize the real story but I would like to see what you guys can come up with. lol

I definately need to get good pictures of this coin done at some point. Mine do the coin no justice whatsoever.

It would be nice to get some pics that show what the coin actually looks like. I'd like to see the colors and possibly more details. Looks like an old fingerprint behind columbus is getting toned over also.

Possibly a famous Swashbuckler's fingerprint? :whistle:

lol

Many of these went unsold at $1 each at the time of issue and were later released from local banks at face value, which I would imagine caused some chagrin among those who paid a premium for the coins. Lightly circulated examples are quite common and many AU-MS pieces have the color scheme that your displays. I believe it is likely a very attractive coin.