• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I like this, but I don't know what it is. Any info?

11 posts in this topic

Sovereign Nation of

the Shawnee Tribe

2008 BU 1 oz Silver $

Battle of Point Pleasant Issue

In Plastic Holder

Limited Edition of 50,000

The Shawnee Nation is the first Native American tribe to issue coins in the USA. This magnificent BU 1 oz Limited Edition .999 fine Silver Dollar commemorates the Battle of Point Pleasant on the obverse, with the Shawnee Tribe logo on the reverse.

Thanks guys. I'm also getting some useful info from the seller. Once I knew that it was a 0.999 1 oz coin I was willing to get it for my signature set though.

Note -- in my opinion this should not be classified as a coin. Rather it is a medal.

Jim, pieces like this are usually considered coins. There are numerous micro-nations, or phantom nations, that produce coinage. Some of them have the authority to do so, such as some Indian nations. Others are just fantasy pieces by wannabe countries, such as Sealand.

Note -- in my opinion this should not be classified as a coin. Rather it is a medal.

Jim, pieces like this are usually considered coins. There are numerous micro-nations, or phantom nations, that produce coinage. Some of them have the authority to do so, such as some Indian nations. Others are just fantasy pieces by wannabe countries, such as Sealand.

I tend to agree with you Physics, though I see at least one point that tends to make him techically correct. It has no denomination, therefore, arguably it is not money and is not a coin.

Edited to add: Well, I'll qualify that; it has no denomination that I can see on the coin in the pictures. The slab has it marked as $1. (shrug)

For those that think that it has to have a denomination on it to be a coin and not a metal I have to ask about the early draped bust half dimes, dimes & quarters. Are you saying that those are also tokens and not coins? If not then please explain the difference.

For those that think that it has to have a denomination on it to be a coin and not a medal I have to ask about . . .
19th Century British coppers?

For those that think that it has to have a denomination on it to be a coin and not a medal I have to ask about . . .
19th Century British coppers?

Do you have any examples from the 20th or 21st centuries? Becuase this coin wasn't made in the 18th or 19th. Every MODERN coin that I'm aware of gives it's denomination.

I'm not trying to be contrary for the sake of such but I thought it was understood practice (now at least) for a "coin" to state its value in trade.

Do you have any examples from the 20th or 21st centuries? Becuase this coin wasn't made in the 18th or 19th. Every MODERN coin that I'm aware of gives it's denomination.

British Sovereign,half sovereigns, 1965 Churchill Crown, 1972 25 new pence, 1977 25 new pence, 1981 25 new pence. I'm sure there are plenty of others.