• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For anyone that still believes TonedcoinTrader or Nicetoning where duped...

30 posts in this topic

I keep seeing forum member new and old stating that Scott was probably duped by a coin doctor and we know that Alex stated he wasn't the creator of these coins but rather just a source for Scott. Alex wouldn't divulge his connections to these coins becuase....

Alex is the doctor and Scott was knowingly in league with the doctor.....there were no smoke and mirrors. My source and I were trying to get scott to do the right thing and come clean but since he intends to let this charade continue to protect what is left of his reputation I now feel compelled to post this.

What we have here is a copy of a PM conversation between Scott and a member of the PCGS forums who wanted to buy some toned coins from Scott. Please read it thoroughly as Scott admits that Nicetoning is the coin doctor.....he also admited the coin doctors are this good and provides specific instructions on how to submit these AT coins to the tpgs to avoid detection. He also states that the coins he was sending in may all bag including his 1904-O and that the coins may have already been submitted in the past by Alex.

So let's be clear...he knew the coins were AT and would probably bag but he sent them in anyway becuase he knew he would make some serious dollars if the coins ever graded. Here is the 1904-O in question....surprise surprise.....I guess it did grade $$$$$$$

Any questions?

Scotttheliar-2.jpg

The now famous 1904-O

1904O.jpg

And the plot thickens.

I will just add that the 1957 NGC 66FBL I just bought from Scott is an original beauty, and he was incredibly fast with the shipping.

This does put a serious dent in his reputation however. :sorry:

I believe that private messages should remain private, and that the PCGS member should not have disclosed what he did.

This was a difficult decision and one we both languished over for quite some time....hence the reason it was posted so late in the disclosure. The problem was that so many folks were coming to Scott's defense conceeding he was duped without the facts that we both felt this was the only way to prove once and for all that Scott was in on it. I know some will not agree with this approach and I respect their opinions.....but to go on like nothing ever happened and not try to protect folks who might unwittingly purchase some of these coins...especially directly from Scott without knowing the facts was just a risk I didn't feel we could take.

I believe that private messages should remain private, and that the PCGS member should not have disclosed what he did.
I believe that as much damage as these guys are doing to the hobby, they should be outed. Normally I say keep the private private, but this is a case where things like this need to be brought out into the open.

I am not a toned coin collector but do own a few, but only ones that I have personally found in original mint packaging. I have never purchased from the two who are in question because I did think that they were questionable, and again because I'm just not that into toners. Personally, I don't think I will ever purchase from either in the future.

1904O.jpg

I am stunned that this coin is AT. This has been a lousy day. First I find out the Easter Bunny isn't real and now I find out that coins that look like this are AT.

I am stunned that this coin is AT. This has been a lousy day. First I find out the Easter Bunny isn't real and now I find out that coins that look like this are AT.

I really don't want to ruin your day further, but the tooth fairy and Santa Claus aren't real either.

I believe that in general PM's should remain private, however in an instance where a member says one thing in public and another in private then that opens him up for having his PM posted to rebut his lie.

Sorry!! I also disagree!! He was lying and he dug is own grave IMO.

I read a more recent post of his on the TCCS forum. And to me, at least, he reconciled his private message vs. public comments in a way that appears credible.

I really don't want to ruin your day further, but the tooth fairy and Santa Claus aren't real either.

Lies... both of you.... lies!!

I read a more recent post of his on the TCCS forum. And to me, at least, he reconciled his private message vs. public comments in a way that appears credible.

It looked to me to be stretching it quite a bit. I mean, at one point he tried to justify himself by saying that he told another member the coins were AT only so that he could buy them cheaply, even though he "thought" they were really NT.

Who needs Gossip Girl? We have all the drama we need right here. :)

I like that Morgan and am a buyer at Greysheet bid. It looks like a work of art to me. The fuchsia/magenta look just like it came out of an old bag.

I am not surprised that you are being fair in hearing both sides.....but I am a bit surprised by your conclusions ;)

I am not surprised that you are being fair in hearing both sides.....but I am a bit surprised by your conclusions ;)

I will say it appears, that even in his explanation, he shows himself as less than honest in saying something which he hoped would allow him to buy certain coins instead of someone else being able to do so.

I will say it appears, that even in his explanation, he shows himself as less than honest in saying something which he hoped would allow him to buy certain coins instead of someone else being able to do so.

lol

Not exactly what I was going after but thanks ^^

I believe that as much damage as these guys are doing to the hobby, they should be outed. Normally I say keep the private private, but this is a case where things like this need to be brought out into the open.

I am not a toned coin collector but do own a few, but only ones that I have personally found in original mint packaging. I have never purchased from the two who are in question because I did think that they were questionable, and again because I'm just not that into toners. Personally, I don't think I will ever purchase from either in the future.

I agree 100%. They needed to be outed. And I thank the person who did it.

What? This is business. If you have the guts to lay it on the line, then you can make some money. If you don't and are swayed by what other people say, you're going to fail.

I can't imagine a situation where I'd prod a competitor to make a purchase that I wanted to make. Why do I care if his family eats?

What? This is business. If you have the guts to lay it on the line, then you can make some money. If you don't and are swayed by what other people say, you're going to fail.

I can't imagine a situation where I'd prod a competitor to make a purchase that I wanted to make. Why do I care if his family eats?

My love and admiration for Greg grows daily lol

Private messages remaining private?

So if I am privy to a PM from someone about to commit a crime like murder, I should just sit tight and wait to read the obituary? I think not... or if I get a PM from someoe threatening to commit suicide I should keep it to myself?

There is nothing 'private' about the internet...

Private messages remaining private?

So if I am privy to a PM from someone about to commit a crime like murder, I should just sit tight and wait to read the obituary? I think not... or if I get a PM from someoe threatening to commit suicide I should keep it to myself?

There is nothing 'private' about the internet...

Those are obviously excusable exceptions, as such circumstances override even legal duties of privacy. Clearly the situation being discussed here is entirely different.

I agree, TDN. Surely, Mark, you see the wisdom and obligation one would have with this info to expose such a fraudulent abuse of our hobby. You and many others have noted how this coin doctoring is harming numismatics, to just stand by with damning information and not divulge it is a far worse crime. Much applause Shane. JMO

Jim

I agree, TDN. Surely, Mark, you see the wisdom and obligation one would have with this info to expose such a fraudulent abuse of our hobby. You and many others have noted how this coin doctoring is harming numismatics, to just stand by with damning information and not divulge it is a far worse crime. Much applause Shane. JMO

Jim

Jim, even though I'm not sure that I agree that it was handled in the best possible way, I respect Shane and his decision. And, were I in his shoes, perhaps I would have done the same - I honestly don't know. But, for example, maybe most of the same points could have been made without disclosing the PM.

I'm just not convinced that the situation is clear cut, and I'm not sure who the guilty party or parties is/are.

Jim

Jim, even though I'm not sure that I agree that it was handled in the best possible way, I respect Shane and his decision. And, were I in his shoes, perhaps I would have done the same - I honestly don't know. But, for example, maybe most of the same points could have been made without disclosing the PM.

I'm just not convinced that the situation is clear cut, and I'm not sure who the guilty party or parties is/are.

I think it's now clear that Greg is the guilty party trying to steal food out of the mouth's of kids :insane:

I have no stake in these circus colored coins, but I am following closely in the shadows. I do have to recant something I mentioned in the other thread Shane started in this matter, it seems that the powers that be are allowing this topic to remain ATS...I'm rather surprised at that and remain so.

I do believe the vehicle name needs to be changed from "Private Message" to "Risk Message" to PM me, is to RM me.

I believe that in most instances private messages are just that, private. However, when a person/people's is at risk of being duped out of their hard earned money, I believe intervening is totally acceptable. This situation is no exception and I fully support making the public privy to this information.

if you dont ever want anything you write down to be published then you never write it down be it on paper or on the internet

Exactly what Michael said.

I have replied to many posts...very extensive and exhaustive answers...very long-winded...and rather than hitting the send button...I just read my reply again and delete it .

I feel compelled to reply to most posts , but in the interest of fellowship as enjoyed on this fine chat board , I deem it better to not post a majority of my replies . ;)