• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dangerous Morgan Dollar copies for sale

13 posts in this topic

While these are good fakes, they are not great fakes. Someone decently well versed in coins could tell these are fakes without too much trouble.

And all of them are marked "Replica" on the reverse. True, this doesn't exactly meet the law, but this is sufficient in my mind at least.

Furthermore, the auctions all clearly state that these are copies.

In my mind, this is one of the least dangerous Chinese sellers out there, and I actually respect him for his honesty. If I needed a super rarity to fill a hole, I might actually consider buying one of these.

I agree with Jason. At least the seller isn't trying to rip someone off. He clearly states them as copy. Still these are getting more and more common. This would only be a venue for a dishonest seller to buy them up and try to rip someone else off.

I see the point, actually I couldn't see the replica marking on the reverse the first time I viewed (I guess I should clean my computer screen). In any event, I don't like copies whether or not they are advertised as such because they can be subject to abuse.

Here is the problem I have with this all. If a US citizen tried to make and sell these, there would be black SUV's all over their doorsteps. The words "copy" would scrutinized to make sure they were exactly within specs, they would dig up your yard looking for contraband, and you would probably get IRS audits the next 20 years.....

But a company like E-bay and a chinese guy can do it all day with no repercussions.....

Go figure hm

MM

will copies eventually be made that are so good that most will be fooled?

a troubling thought

You think there aren't copies already in TPG holders?

Just recently a copy of a very early 1797?dollar was found in an AGC slab.The owner sent it in to either PCGS or NGC for regradingand it came back as fake.After a long drawn out process AGC made good(mostly).

I haven't seen any other copies in other slabs,but from what I've read,they do get in from time to time. Does anyone have any pictures or print articles of fakes in top tier slabs? Not fake slabs,though they are out there too.

a troubling thought

What a depressing and thoroughly disheartening situation.

:(

a troubling thought

Just recently a copy of a very early 1797?dollar was found in an AGC slab.The owner sent it in to either PCGS or NGC for regradingand it came back as fake.After a long drawn out process AGC made good(mostly).

I haven't seen any other copies in other slabs,but from what I've read,they do get in from time to time. Does anyone have any pictures or print articles of fakes in top tier slabs? Not fake slabs,though they are out there too.

There was RI AL's 1795 Dollar in an early SEGS slab also... Unless that is the one you are referencing.